repacking spark arrestor

bcrob

Nov 6, 2002
I have a 91 kdx 250 that I am trying to repack the spark arrestor on. I bought the material from msracing and the problem I am have is when I try to put it back together the material just keeps bunching up. The material is very fluffy so tried removing some in layers but still too thick. The old material was alot flatter but I thought it was because of it being oil soaked from years of use. Should the new material be semi-soaked in oil to get it flat? or is there some other trick to doing this? I don't want to remove so much material that there is hardly anything left by the time I get it back together.

Thanks for the help,

Rob

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
You don't want to soak it in oil. Wrap a couple of wires in a X-pattern (not too tight) around the packing to keep it from slipping when you slide the core back into the body. Don't remove too much, but then again don't wrap it too tightly, just kind of find a happy medium and you'll be alright! :)

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
I wrap my silencer snug and then hold it together with good ol' fashioned masking tape. Very easy to work with, and the silencer goes back together with no trouble.

Peer Lovell

Nov 25, 1999
It sounds like you have taken the end cap off and are trying to stuff the packing in the exhuast end? If that is so, you need to remove the other end, pull out the core, install the packing, then push that back into the silencer.

bcrob

Nov 6, 2002
Yes I had the arrestor all apart and when wrapping the core and putting it back in, the material was bunching up. I tried the wire method suggested and that worked great.
Thanks everyone for the suggestions,
Rob

Originally posted by Peer Lovell
If that is so, you need to remove the other end, pull out the core, install the packing, then push that back into the silencer.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Thanks for the wire idea StudBoy, i usually use masking tape but will try the wire..
Thanks,
Rick

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
Ricky, either way works, but I find that the wire method holds a little bit better and as an added bonus my exhaust doesn't smell like burnt tape for a while after I repack!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…