Replace Sprockets and Chain or JUST Chain?

rodH

Aug 17, 2005
I bought a used 05 CRF450. The sprockets show a slight/ little wear, but I have been told that the stock chains suck. Should I?:

1. Wait til everything wears out and replace is all at sametime?
2. Replace the chain now?
3. Replace the rear sprocket and chain now?
4. Replace all sprockets and chain now?

Thanks

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
I vote for # 1.

Simulcaster

Nov 8, 2005
I was always taught do it all at the same time.
a torn up sprocket will trash a new chain and a old chain will wear out your new sprocket faster. Could be an old wise tale but usually you can package it all together for a decent price.......then throw the old stuff in your tool box for emergency use.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Replace it all now, keep the old sprockets for spares.

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
you said the sprockets showed "slight, a little" wear.

your best option is to replace the chain now (I prefer a ring chain but that's a whole different debate).

otherwise, your sprockets are going to go south fast because your chain is worn. A new chain will never know the difference that it is riding on "slightly worn" sprockets.

chain adjustment is key, make sure you follow the manual and do it right.

if you follow my advice and get a ring chain, even with infrequent lubing you will be good to go for at least a season, all you'll have to do is keep an eye on the chain slack but typically it's stays very stable with a ring chain because the chain doesn't wear much.

the "replace it all at once" theory sounds logical and the folks selling the parts probably started it, but from a practical sense on several bikes i've put a new oring chain with sprockets worn half way through the teeth, the sprocket wear nearly stopped and the system was good for at least a season after that (and that's back when I rode a lot).

I love these debates (uh oh, here comes Jay bird)

chevy383cid

Aug 26, 2005
I would get a few more rides out of them, and then get new sprockets and a good o-ring chain(I perfer Sidewinder or Sunstar) and renthal or DID on the chain.

rodH

Aug 17, 2005
I just took it apart to clean the bike, looks like it comes with a DID DMA2 chain and a Sunstar 48t rear sprocket, are these stock on the bike?

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom