Replacing Accelerator Cable...Pls Help!!!

dinsy

Mar 17, 2006
Gday,

Recenty, my accelerator cable snapped so i'm wanting to replace it. (1995 KX80 - about to sell it to buy a KX250F).

Could somebody please tell me how to remove the cable? I've desembled the handlebar end (technical word there!) however i can't work out how to remove the cable from teh carby. (if it even is the carby ) I undid the bolt above it and pulled the cable, however i believe it's attached to something in there!

Somebody please help!

THANK YOU!

CRguyStan

Dec 10, 2001
Take the top of the carb off to reveal the slide (shiny thing inside). The cable is sort of hooked inside this, pull all the cable slack through the bottom of the slide, then unhook the cable and it will come up through the slide and top plate. There is a spring in there that is holding the cable into the slide, so look how this goes together before removing it.
Stan

steverm250

Sep 20, 2005
you have to unscrew the to of the carb or if it has screws you have to undo them (normaly two or three small ones on the top) this allows the slider with the needle to come out of the carb. when this is out you have to pull the spring up on the cable so as to gain access to the nipple on the end of the cable which is slotted in the housing. hope this is of help

dinsy

Mar 17, 2006
Thanks guys...i'm not quite sure though... [insert pic here]

How the hell do you post images/links?

So, do i unscrew that lid/cap thing on the top?

I'm just gonna do 1 thing at a time! lol

klikboom

Mar 1, 2006
Just use your intuition...if the cable is not free then keep going down till you find what it is attached to.
remove top of carburator
remove slide, pull back spring, pull cable and unlatch it from the interior of the slide.

dinsy

Mar 17, 2006
ive taken off the cap, and the spring popped out... where abouts is the slides you were talking about?

I pulled the spring and it's attached to a round cylindrical object...is this the slide? if so, do i pull it right out?

Sorry for all these questions, but i don't wanna screw it!

TimberPig

Jan 19, 2006
Yes that will be the slide.

A tip to make sure you follow the same routing, is to hook a piece of string onto the old cable before you pull it out. Then it will be pulled through the same path. To install the new one, simply untie the old cable and replace it with the new one, and pull the string back the other way. You may need to remove the gas tank and loosen some cable ties and such to allow the cable to be pulled through them.

TimberPig

Jan 19, 2006
windsormw said:
for what its worth ........

BUY A NEW CABLE , they can't be that expensive ( even living down under )

Ditto. It isn't worth risking a stuck throttle with a used cable that is of unknown origins and in unknown condition. New throttle cables are cheap, especially compared to a crash caused by not being able to shut the bike down.

dinsy

Mar 17, 2006
It's just that i've heard they cost around $100AUD over here and alot of my mates just buy from wreckers and there's seem to be going alright.

TimberPig

Jan 19, 2006
Unless parts prices are severely inflated over there, there is no way a new throttle cable will be $100 AU.

A new Kawasaki OEM throttle cable lists at Bike Bandit for ~$23 US, while a Motion Pro is $21.50 US. Thats about $31 AU when converted directly. Even if it was $50 AU, the peace of mind of having a new cable, not a rusted, frayed one from a wrecked bike is worth it. Throttle control isn't something you gamble with. I'm betting it could even be shipped over there from the US and still be less than $50 AU.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom