Replacing fork seals on '98 GasGas TXT 270?

TVRider

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 29, 2002
Just got this bike, it needs fork seals in the worst way. I don't have an owners manual. Can anyone give me some info on how to replace them? I have done this before on several vintage bikes but never a modern. What size fork seals does it take? Are there bushing that should be replaced at the same time?

Thanks,

TV

TVRider

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 29, 2002
JTT,

Thanks man, thats perfect! :thumb: I really appreciate the information. :)
TV

TVRider

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 29, 2002
JTT,

Have you taken the forks apart on a GasGas before? I have a parts explosion diagram that shows a collar/seal that the fork seals sit in. It looks like it unscrews in the picture, but really hard to tell (poor quality copy). Everything else went fine, but the seals will not come out using the lower part of the fork like a slide hammer as in the RYPUSA diagrams. Do these collars have to be unscrewed? Any ideas?

Thanks,

TV

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
Sorry, I have never taken them completely down. I did do a cleaning and oil change on mine the other day, but left the seals in place. I am pretty sure there is only a circlip holding them in place. With the dust seal removed, you should see the metal clip. remove it and try the "slide hammer" effect. If this doesn't work, you sometimes need to heat the lower tube area some with a hot air gun or similar to expand it slightly as some can be difficult.

If you want to be absolutely sure, give Jim Snell a call, he'll be able to tell you for sure. Can't find his phone number right now, but here is his e-mail
rsiinc@ffni.com

Let me know what you find out.

TVRider

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 29, 2002
JTT,

Thanks for the reply. I talk to Bob Ginder at B&J Racing yesterday. My bike has GasGas forks and has a screw on sleeve that the seal sit in. I used a strap wrench and was able to get it undone. The slide hammer thing won't work on the GasGas forks. The instructions on the RYPUSA site were useful.

Thanks,

TV

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…