raykx

Jun 26, 2001
I have a pair of 1998 alpine star tek 8 boots. I need to have the sole of my boots replaced. I had read in a previous post that one could use the soles of different boots. Is that possible and if so which sole/boot do u recommend. Where can one take thier boots to have this done? I also have heard that alpine star soles have a problem with chipping off. Does this problem exist with all alpine star boots? thanx for the info....

mxneagle

Jan 7, 2001
I've replaced the insert on the sole of my Tech 8's. Piece of cake. 2 yrs on a set of soles is pretty good don't you think? I'd stick with the Alpinstars OEM soles IMO.

buffmaster

Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 11, 2001
I don't have A-stars, but I've read the prev. posts fairly thuroughly. The replaceable part on the A-stars is the small insert under the arch of your foot. That part can be removed w/a utility knife and heat gun and replaced w/some glue(and maybe something else like staples, but that's the one part I can't remember). To replace the whole sole is a whole other project. You have to take the boots and new sole to a shoe/boot repair shop, due to the stitching required. If I remember correctly, you can get some new soles for around $20. From what I've read, you can also use different soles on your boots. I saw that, seeing as the tech 8's sole wears so quickly, others have been having good luck w/the Gearne's SG-1 soles.

KDX220rm

Uhhh...
Jun 3, 2002
Here are two places mentioned on Dirtrider.

Sole Performance
Encinitas, Calf. 800-944-2755 ($60-$70).

Freemont Boot Repair
124 Stewart
Freemont, MI 49412 (616-924-0190)
This think this is where Alpinestars sents the boots for reair.

jeffd

Naïve Texan
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2000
I called and emailed Alpine Stars and got my Tech6 boots re-soled under an RMA for the cost of shipping only. Yours might be too old to do this though...

The soles on mine were chunking apart. Alpine had new substrates, soles, inserts, and toe caps put on with fresh stitching. They admitted that the soles were defective and did the right thing. You might want to make a call to see what they have to say about your boots.

If they can't (or won't) help, then Sole Performance will put Sidi soles on your Alps for about $80.

-jeffd

Whoops

Jun 19, 2000
I have tech8s and had them re-soled this year. I bought the soles from my local dealer and took the boots to my local cobbler to put them on. I think any good cobbler can do the job. The total cost for soles and labor, $90.

Whoops

raykx

Jun 26, 2001
Thanks for all the replies. I called alp stars and they said the total cost was at $80 bucks. I also did some damage to the plastic piece(teardrop shape protective piece) on the outside boot which they said the would fix at no charge. I drop the boots off at their location in torrance,ca and they said they will have the boots mailed to me in couple of days -shipping was free. I think with the cust. service I experience today I will never buy any other brand but only ALP STAR. Class A company;)

yam 3

May 19, 2000
My local cobbler told me how to replace soles without stitching. Take your old boot and pry you a little opening in between the rubber sole and the hard part of the boot sole with a screwdriver. Then pour some acetone in the slot. The acetone will cause the glue to debond itself almost immediately. Clean the boot well and apply some contact cement(weldwood brand works well) over the boot sole and the replacement sole and allow to dry completely.
Then cover the boot part with another layer of cement and apply the replacement sole. The most important parts are to let the glue dry and keep pressure on the sole to bond properly( c-clamps and 2x4's work well). My first attempt is stilll holding well and it only cost me ~ $35 including the soles!

IM12RSPCT

Aug 21, 2001
Hey Ray, I think its time to buy some new boots. Your boots are fading, your soles are worn, they dont match the color of your bike, and damn that smell. Break down and get a new pair. I will drive you to the store.:debil:

Top Bottom