Replacing Waterpump Seal And Bearing

razorboy

Jul 12, 2005
Hey Folks,

Well, my sons KX85 ran well over the weekend with all the new topend parts installed.
I kept a constant vigil on the coolant level and it started dropping again. Since there was no white smoke coming off the bike, it isn't leaking past the head gasket. I think it is getting into the gearcase past the waterpump seal? The oil level looks like it went up and it has a grayish appearance. Pretty sure thats whats happening.

I am going to replace the waterpump seal, bearing and the gear itself to eliminate the possibility.

Is the righthand cover removal basic or am I getting into crank seal territory again? In other words, is this job relatively straightforward or another small piece of hell to accomplish?

TIA
Bernie

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Looking at an exploded diagram it appears to be a pretty easy repair. Drain, pop the cover, pull the impeller, scrape the gasket if required, pull the seal, put in sew stuff in reverse order.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Exactly as Patman says.. Very simple job.. the seal on this one is on piece, meaning you don't have a separate seal for the oil side & water side.. just make note of what side is what before you take out the old one, and you'll be fine.

Good to hear your top end job came out ok!

razorboy

Jul 12, 2005
Thanx Indy,

Yea, it all went well.
Glad to hear that this is not another "engine out, crankcase puller, hammer smash, etc" job.
I thought it looked pretty straightforward from looking at the manual :^) but just wanted to be certain prior to ripping into it again since he has to race it again this coming Saturday.

Cheers
Bernie

Top Bottom