Repringing Dilemmas!!

roosteater

~SPONSOR~
Dec 27, 1999
Okay...here's my issue. I've got a 98 KX 250. Stock suspension. I go about 220 w/ gear right now. Thus, I'm far to heavy for the bike as currently sprung.

I'd really like to respring now. Suggested springs are 5.4 and .48's. (EDIT: oops...recommended fork springs are actually .44's and not .48's!) I've contacted a vendor (Shocknut) about springs/prices/etc. I'd really like to buy new springs and get them installed this year yet.

However, I'm also working on losing weight (working out & controlling diet). The goal is to lose about 25 to 30 lbs. (yes, i'm a fat *******.)

The effect of having a "way-undersprung" bike are obvious....bottoming, etc. However, what are the effects of having a slightly oversprung bike (assuming my fat arse loses some poundage in the relatively near future)? If I go forward with new springs now and lose weight, will I just be looking at respringing again....and again...and again?

Surely there must be others with similar issues? Any advice? Should I just respring for my current weight and live with the effects of having an oversprung bike later? Should I put off installing springs until I get the weight issue under control and maintained? I'm at a loss!!

Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Marklx

May 24, 2001
My experiences with springing are that the wrong springs work pretty poorly. At lower speed/easy trail riding, I guess I'd go for the softer springs. But for high speed and mx stuff, you want the thing sprung properly for your real weight.

If, I mean when, you lose the 25-30 pounds, reward yourself with the right springs and sell the old ones. That way, you'll be very motivated not to put the weight back on!:scream:

Good luck,

Mark

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
If you got your bike sprung for your desired weight-you should have engoung adjustment with the clickers to compensate for the slight difference in your actual weight.-Dont forget when you ride you often pick up 30lb of mud and not bother respringing.Also you can mix your old fork springs with the new ones to get a rate inbetween.The forks cand be tuned with oil weights/springs/air gap and clickers so you have alot of options.

KawieKX125

~SPONSOR~
Oct 9, 2000
from what I have been told, no amount of respringing will really solve the heavy bottomng problem in KX's. Their valving is very light. I have a 99KX125 and I went through 3 very stiff levels of springs and still bottom alot. I am also about 140. The lightest springs I tried should have worked.
In comparison, my new KX with revalved suspension has comparably light springs but I have yet to bottom it(for the record, I have tried)!

Ragmanjoe

Jul 28, 2001
kx 250 suspension

I am also 220 and have a 97 KX 250. I sent my shocks to Pro Circuit with my weight and my preference of riding conditions. They set the suspension up and I have not had any problems. I ride woods, desert and track in Southern California. Perhaps you could take your bike to a local service provider and they can take care of you. Pro Circuit is local in Corona. Good luck.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…