sodhead

Feb 13, 2001
I have stumbled upon something that I've found to be useful for me. Maybe others have as well, but I thought I would pass it along..

I have a WR400F that I've basically converted to a YZ. When I bought the YZ fuel tank from Yamaha, it didn't come with any hardware like the mounts or the petcock. Luckily though, the WR tank mounts and petcock bolted right to the YZ tank.

The WR petcock has an "on" position and a "reserve" position. For those who don't know how a "reserve" works, but are curious:
Basically, there are two different passages in a WR petcock that fuel can flow through, "on" and "reserve". When you have it turned to "reserve", it can drawl fuel right off the bottom of the tank. But, when it is turned to "on", it drawls fuel through a tube that extends up inside the tank - so, its not drawling fuel from the bottom, but rather some distance up from the bottom (depends on how long the tube extends up in the tank). So, "reserve" isn't really having MORE fuel somewhere, its just when the petcock is "on" and the fuel gets low, the bike will "run out of gas" and die when really some fuel is still in there. Then, you switch to "reserve", fire it back up, and make a beeline back to the gas can to refuel.

This may not be desirable for someone who needs an entire tank capacity of gas to finish a race, but for us who basically knock around, its pretty cool. I saw another guy yesterday pushing his bike back to the truck cuz he didn’t check his fuel before taking a few more laps. And you know if you do run out, it will surely be the furthest from the truck possible!!! :eek: :ugg:

I did end up trimming the “on” tube some on mine before I put the petcock on the YZ tank. The WR tank was a lot bigger, and the tube seems to go up in there quite a ways, so I trimmed mine down to about an inch high.

I just find that I have peace of mind knowing I don’t have worry about being “surprised by running out of gas”, while some of my YZ buddies start getting a little nervous after we’ve been out in the boonies for a few hours. ;)

By the way, I saw on partsfish.com that a WR petcock is only about $23.

Later,
Bob

Last edited:

sodhead

Feb 13, 2001
Don't know about XR and CR petcocks. Maybe if you could find someone with both types of bikes, you could see if they would be interchangable.

sodhead

Feb 13, 2001
grass-digger,
Look up the petcocks for an 85 CR250, and an 85 XR250 on partsfish.com. From the little diagram showing the petcocks, it looks like they have similar mounting flange styles (two bolts holding them to the tank). Also, they call for the same part number for the O-RING that goes between between the petcocks and the tanks. If you could find an XR to look at, maybe you could measure the mounting flange bolt span and see it it might work.

Good luck.

Lorin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 25, 1999
I have found that most of these parts are somewhat interchangeable. I took a petcock with the reserve function on it from my kdx and it bolted right up to a yz. Other than maybe fuel line size, the mounting points seem fairly standard.

wayneo426

Sponsoring Member
Dec 30, 2000
Sandbar, NY
seamless

It was very easy to swap out the tank, all the hardware bolted right on, and I now have the "reserve" from the WR hardware. ;)

Top Bottom