1989kx250

Mar 17, 2006
i want to redo the exhaust on my rm. i was wondering what kind of paint they use stock on the exhaust (header and silencer) , and could i powdercoat them??

phatford92

Jun 9, 2007
there are specific high heat paints in an arrangement of colours that will work and the whole powdercoating thing might work but definatly look into it the high heat paint that is good is the stuff for headers on vehicles

1989kx250

Mar 17, 2006
thanks, i was just wondering because i was looking into getting a powdercoater and doing stuff like that myself and maybe making a few bucks with it.

olderndirtmom

Apr 28, 2007
1989kx250 said:
thanks, i was just wondering because i was looking into getting a powdercoater and doing stuff like that myself and maybe making a few bucks with it.

I think there is some stripping/prep involved. As well as a bit of technical knowledge involved in when it is appropriate. Arm yourself with knowledge. I'm also curious if you'd be required to have some air control systems in place for particulate matter and for fumes? (Similar to a paint booth?) A question worth finding the answer to.

Here's an old article specific to powdercoating cycles.

http://my.execpc.com/~davewrit/Powder.html

A more general article for the hobbyist:

http://itotd.com/articles/300/powder-coating/

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
A powder coat gun may be cool for small things, but are you going to invest in an oven large enough to bake big pieces?

I doubt you'd be able to fit anything like a frame or even a pipe in a home sized oven.

junkjeeps

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2001
I have used BBQ pit paint in a rattle can before with good success. I guess it depends on if you are building a bike for show or if you just want it to look good enough to ride.

mxdj666

Apr 1, 2007
semi gloss black bbq paint from rust olem works great and if its applied nice with no drips or runs it looks like a factory finish and the best part is it will only cost a couple of bucks

Top Bottom