cbrslider

May 19, 2000
I pulled my 96 KDX200 out of the barn after it was parked about 5 years ago. Kids are getting into riding, so I figured I would get it back up and running. WELL not as easy as I figured. Rodents decided to eat the air filter and then use the carb as their bathroom. I have it tore out and cleaned the crap out of it(no pun intented). I realized after it was cleaned that the crap pitted the whole intake side of the carb. I attempted to polish it out with a dremel but there are still rough areas. So my dilemma is do I just find a replacement carb($$$$ :( ) or put it back together and run it to see how it works. My thought process is that if there is pitting where I can see it, how about in the small jetting orifices. Hate to spend the money and it be useable. Any suggestions? Anyone have a carb laying around that wants to get rid of it at a decent price? I'm open to any ideas.

Thanks for your time. Look forward to being back on the board....last visit according to my logon stated 03/06/06...wow, where has time gone.

Ray

motopsycho87

Dec 26, 2010
Fill the pits with either chemical metal or epoxy then polish flat :D.

You are less likely to have pitting in the jets as they are brass, see if you can find an ultra sonic cleaner cheap or blast out the airways with compressed air.

cbrslider

May 19, 2000
Thanks for the response and the ideas. I thought about epoxy but wasn't sure about how it would hold up to gas. I'm totally ignorant when it comes to expoxy and chemical metal. Do you recommend any type of either materials? I'm game for trying just about anything. Thanks.

Ray

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
If I were you, I'd probably just start with cleaning it really well, and running it as is.

Sure, the pitting will influence some air flow, but this ain't a scramjet motor, it's a carb on a woods bike. I doubt it will make a perceptible difference.

To be honest, a 96 KDX-200 has a slightly oversized carb to begin with, as evidenced by the fact that the KDX-220 (20 more cc's) with a smaller diameter carb will make more horsepower than a 200 (all other things being equal).

Just make sure the slide operates OK, and that the parts you can get at are as clean as possible.

cbrslider

May 19, 2000
Thanks for your responses. I just finished up my son's crf50 rebuild this afternoon, so I'll get back to my kdx soon. He's having too much fun on our single track without me.

Ray

cbrslider

May 19, 2000
I agree 100%. The best memories of my father when I was a kid were being out riding with him. I finished my son's crf50 yesterday and tore into my kdx..... not looking so good. Won't kick over... piston seized in the cylinder. Ouch! I'll keep plugging away at it.

Ray

KDXROCKET14

Mar 22, 2012
How did the cylinder and everything look?, that's good if it wasn't all scored up. If the cylinder looks good, a top end wouldnt be a bad idea just to do it. Since you have it all a part, a freshening up would be great, but no worries, kdx's will run forever with good premix. Still trying to upload pics of my bike..will do it soon. Ryan

cbrslider

May 19, 2000
everything looked good. a little carbon on the top of the piston. it was just stuck and if i would have just taken the cover off the stator side and used a wrench, i probably could have rolled it over without needin to take the top end a part. i would love to rebuild it but i think that i'll put it back together and use that money toward all the other stuff i need to get it up and running. i had just rebuilt it prior to putting it away....other than my brother running it for a month or so. i'll see how it goes.

Ray

KDXROCKET14

Mar 22, 2012
cool, yeah if you had it rebuilt before this and everything cleaned up ok, put it back together and give it a shot. These things run no matter what :nod: But yeah definately put the money towards other goodies that could benefit more right now and get that kdx goin!!!! good luck on it,
Ryan

KDXROCKET14

Mar 22, 2012
Hey Ray, if you have an email, i could send the pics of my 220. That's the only way i know how to do it, haha. I'd be more than happy to show you some pics of some of my upgrades. or if you could private message me or something.
Ryan.

cbrslider

May 19, 2000
Finally getting back to this project. It's been a long summer and haven't had a chance to work on the bike at all. BUT last night I got it back together enough to put gas in it today. After a lot of kicking, I got it fired up. It sounded great. Now I need to get a new rear tire and a chain/sprocket kit. Excited to get it out on the trails.

Ray

KDXROCKET14

Mar 22, 2012
cool stuff, i know what you mean about a long summer, here in so cal it has been terrible, i've been riding the kdx in the higher elavation and a few trials events, but since it's october we'll be getting back on the kdx's a.s.a.p. Good to here it fired up, let us know how it runs.
Ryan.

cbrslider

May 19, 2000
I'll keep you posted. Where are you from in So Cal? I was born in Riverside, CA. Only lived there for two years then moved here to the middle of no where in North Central PA. I can't imagine riding in that heat. I remember being back to visit some family back in the 80's and I couldn't take the heat. Too much for me...couldn't imagine riding in that. Cool you got some riding in. My son is jazzed I got the bike running. Now to buy the rear tire and chain/sprockets. Then she'll be ready to ride.

Ray

cbrslider

May 19, 2000
I got it up and running. I had to order some oem parts that needed to be replaced but nothing that didn't keep me from ripping around the yard. My son stood on the porch yelling for me to do wheelies the whole time. I finally go up enough courage to pull up a small wheelie. It felt so good to have the bike back together and able to ride again.

Top Bottom