duncanstives

Sep 11, 2009
Hey guys,
So I've had an account here for awhile because I have wanted a KDX for years... In these years I have owned jeeps, 4 wheelers and even a VW buggy but for some reason the bike just never happened. The other day I was cruising youtube my old addiction was reawakened... I rode an old beat 125 2 stroke someone had given a friend of mine for free... We rebuilt the carb and he didn't seem to much care for it so I took it out riding on some really knarly rocky trail next to my house... Lasted about 2 hours and the tranny gave up and that was the end of that. Dispite the shortness of the ride (and nearly killing myself when the rocks shifted under hard braking and I slammed into the side of a creek bed and went over the bars... LOL) I am pretty sure it was the most fun I've ever had on a vehicle...
Video that really did it for me was this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7WJB...eature=related
Tell me that isn't awesome!

So... I jumped on CL and offered to trade my rail for a bike (the rail needs a bit of work but its got a nice bus transaxle)... Lo and behold the next morning I was greeted with an offer for the very bike I wanted:
184012_10150330826535491_742425490_9968773_4584401_n.jpg

96 kdx200... What do you guys think? Decent bike to start with? Guy says it starts on the first kick nearly every time and runs great. Anything I should ask about? He is supposed to come trade next friday and hes got a 100 mile drive each way at 11mpg so I'd hate to have to send him home without trading because I didn't do my homework (though of course if he misrepresents something that another story... He seems like a decent guy though).
Questions I should ask? Should I aks for any close up pics of anything in particular?

Thanks!

duncanstives

Sep 11, 2009
Just so I'm clear about what I'd be giving up for this little gem... Its a standard run of the mill VW rail... Kind of beat... I paid $1500 and put a few parts in and am now putting in a 3 rib bus trans but I am to the part that involves welding... I am dreading this because my welder is packed away in the back of a hot shed full of wasps AND I'd have to install a new 220 circuit to use it... I know it doesn't sound like much but combine this PITA with zero time to mess with it and no garage here so working in the hot sun on the lawn and I am REALLY not looking forward to it... So basically the rail is sold as a non-runner with some decent parts.
That said it IS a blast when its working (though it breaks every time I use it :bang: )
76502_10150091724275491_742425490_7693699_1312299_n.jpg

craig_enid

Mar 23, 2000
A KDX is a good choice. Very upgradeable to keep up with your advancing skills.
Don't worry too much about the condition, all is fixable. Lots of parts and parts bikes out there.
I'm on my fifth KDX, replaced/repaired about all you can on the past bikes.
Go for it, and enjoy!

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
Looks to be in good shape. I thought the purple tank was gone in 96 (mine is a 95, and has the purple).

Unless you can get proof of the age of the piston, figure on popping the head and cylinder, and inspecting the piston. Not a bad job at all on a two stroke. $40 worth of gaskets, and a couple of hours work.

The rear shock is another expensive part that fails... the plating on the shaft peels, and that will eat seals until you replace the shaft (which effectively means replacing the shock). Also check for play in the rear linkage, common, but $75 or so in bearings to rebuild.

duncanstives

Sep 11, 2009
Got it!

It was late, I was tired and I had not tracked down my helmet and jacket but I still couldn't resist a couple runs up and down the driveway... Bike is even more fun than I remember (probably because this one actually has a small amount of power)... Just nothing like that feeling of barely being able to hang on when you twist the throttle. Also did my first wheelie... Not really trying... Jus got a little carried away and hit it too hard in first... I was glad it was dark because if anyone saw the light pointing straight up they may have thought it was deliberate... They would not have been able to see my legs hanging off the back of the bike as I rocketed across 30 feet of gravel before having the presence of mind to release the throttle just when it was about to fall over backwards on me... Lol

Pics tomorrow... Too dark now.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
I had a rail project and was glad to be rid of it. I only broke my kdx 1 time and it was my fualt so I had to push it about 1 mile and rebuild the engine that was full of mud.

they are very reliable bikes as long as you keep them maintained...parts do wear and filters get dirty

the most common item for mine is the rear wheel bearings, I have been through 2 sets in 3-4 years

as far as bikes in general I have seen alot of worn out chain/sprockets that killed the engine case....my kdx had the mounts for the front sprocket gaurd sheared off when I got it.

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
You'll find dozens of little issues with the bike (any bike that is 14 years old will have issues), but half the fun will be taking care of them....and learning about the bike in the process.
I predict that you will be one of the "experts" (meant in a very positive way) on this forum within two years.
Ride safe, ride hard!

Top Bottom