Retrieving OBDII Codes With Jumper Wire?

B

biglou

I've got a check engine light on my 2002 F150 4.2L V6. I knew how to jumper older F150's under the hood to make the light flash the numeric codes, but that was OBDI (96 and prior). Is it possible to jumper the 2002? If so, is there an online diagram for which pins to jumper? My hookup is under the dash on this vehicle.

I did see some indication that the EGR valve position sensor is still a source of trouble on the F150 (like the 80's and 90's), and I've got no indications of a problem with how the engine is running. All guages normal.

I've Googled with no solid answers as of yet. I know we've got some knowledgeable automotive types on here. Thanks in advance!

AssistSuper

Apr 4, 2005
Biglou.....you should be able to take your truck by a local parts store and they'll run the computer for you for free.

Autozone, O Reilly's, Advanced....they should all be able to check codes.

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
Any Autozone store will read/delete your code for you.

Simple OBDII code readers are pretty cheap these days too.

Also, here is a good site for F150 related info:

www.f150online.com/forums/index.php

Brian

Stanbagger
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 1, 2001
I am a member of F150online, too. There is lots of good info there. I'd take your truck by an autozone and get the code read. They will give you a code, a letter followed by 4 numbers(ie P0401) and you can google that number(or try the link I posted) to find out what it means. It is likely something simpl. Common problems that come to mind in these trucks:
-insufficient EGR flow, as those get carboned up easily
-dirty MAF sensor
-lean (banks 1 or 2)
-o2 sensors needing replacement
-COP or coil misfire
-vacuum leak

Is the truck running any differently, that might also indicate possible problems?

This website is helpful once you determine your CEL code:

http://www.troublecodes.net/OBD2/

Last edited:
B

biglou

Thanks Brian, I'm stopping by on the way home today. No, no indication that it's running any differently. It's still the smooth-running gutless turd it's always been! :laugh:

Brian

Stanbagger
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 1, 2001
Good that its not running any differently. My guess is a dirty MAF or crudded up EGR or throttle body. I'll be interested to know what you find out!

BTW, just out of curiosity, why didn't you opt for one of the V-8s? Fuel mileage? I get a whopping 14mpg in my 5.4 liter 4x4 if I'm lucky :ahhh:

Attachments

• drnedit.jpg
    drnedit.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 111

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Brian said:
BTW, just out of curiosity, why didn't you opt for one of the V-8s?
He's running the V6 and small, skinny tires because he's undercompensating for the special *gift* the good lord graced him with.

B

biglou

EGR flow, just like on my 88, and my 92. Reset the light at AutoZone, if it comes back, I'll take the sensor out and clean the hole where the plunger goes. :cool:

380EXCman

Sponsoring Member
Sep 15, 1999
I had a 2000 F-150 with the 4.2 manual and 2wd. I put a magnaflow catback, Airforce One intake and a Superchip. It ran very very good. I could run 85-90 mph and get 20 mph all day long. Plenty of info on F150online.

Of course Im not as blessed in certain areas as Lou. So I now have a Hemi Quad Cab with the same goodies as above. It gets down the road real good.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Well ... now I know WHY I like my S-10. :)

B

biglou

Just joined and posted over at F150online. Here's my update:
Hey all, first post. I searched and read all I could on the 4.2 problems with 0401 and 0402 codes, let me give my symptoms:

2002 F150 2WD, 4.2L V6, Auto Trans, 74k miles, 90% highway driven.

I got the SES light about a month ago, and pulled a P0401 code (EGR flow insufficient) at AutoZone. I did some reading and found all kinds of hits on the DPFE. I did a manual vacuum test on the EGR valve at idle and it worked fine (engine stumbled when vacuum applied). I took the EGR valve off, inspected it, made sure it moves smoothly and "de-carboned" it as best I could. I did not see any blockage in the EGR port in the intake. I inspected the green vacuum line for breaks, etc. and it was fine. I called the dealer and they said the DPFE was the problem 9 out of 10 times. So, I bought the $37 Wells brand DPFE from AutoZone, reset the code, and all was well, for about 3 weeks...

Now, as of last Thursday, I have the SES light again, only this time I get P0402 (excessive EGR flow). After the reading I've done on here, I'm leaning toward replacing the DPFE again with a genuine Ford part. Does that sound about right? Is there anything else I missed that I might try? The only other part in the system is the vacuum solenoid that would turn the vacuum to the EGR valve on, correct? How to check it? Certain RPM and engine temp?

I have no driveability issues, mileage is still great, but I do seem to have a slight "buck" when I let off the throttle at highway speeds. Almost like the tranny clunks back into the engine braking.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Same problem with my '05

Now, the guys at AutoZone will tell you they can read and delete the code, but I have it from my dealers mechanic chief that they cannot. He explained to me that the whole schmear has been changed and their readers are no longer valid, even though they still tell you they are.
They guy had no reason to lead me astray on that one...none that I could think of.

I was curious and checked at AutoZone....guy told me he could read the code fine...hooked up several attempts, and no go...he couldnt figure out why. "data connection error" or sumsuch..
He said must be a connection problem on my end. Corroded prongs or something...his reader was spot-on and worked fine. (My truck had 1500 miles on it)
Hmmmmm......

B

biglou

I've repeatedly checked and cleared the codes with the scanner at AZ. It works for me, makes the light go away if only temporarily.

As an interesting(?) development to my story, my light went out as of this morning, only to return this afternoon. Weird. I'll get around to picking up a FOMOCO DFPE sensor here in a week or two. Seems like I have all kinds of things needing attention (read: money) lately. Ain't that always the case, though?

Top Bottom