reusing spark plugs

handleme46

Apr 11, 2003
yesterday i started up my bike and accidentally left the choke on when warming it up. It oil fouled my 7$ plug and that sucks. I dried off the plug and lit a lighter to burn off the excess oil. i put it back in and it started up, but after a few seconds it died again. Does anybody have any good methods for reusing plugs???? any ideas would help me save $$$$

Moto Squid

~SPONSOR~
Jul 22, 2002
make sure you turn your choke off :thumb:

once fouled a plug will never be right again if you clean it...if you're in a bind sometime if you take a GOOD torch and heat the tip red hot it'll get you going....seriously, though, just put in a new plug!

muscle

Mar 17, 2002
Thats why I buy the $1.89 standard plug and change to a new plug after each race. (or I should say after each day of racing) Cheap Insurance.

I have never felt a differance between the high dollar and standard plug.

Joepro9

Feb 17, 2001
I have used sand blasted plugs that have been "fouled" or just dirty. My dad does them at work in the shop. Any bike shop or auto shop should have a , "plug cleaner" or "Plug Blaster" I also use cheap plugs, so I use the blasted ones as back ups on long rides. I dont have to pay alot for the reccomended plug, its and r plug, just a little more that the normal, but I sometimes dont run the R. I usually run b8es, they are 1.89 from my auto parts store too. They want like 3 something for the R plug I believe.

muscle

Mar 17, 2002
A fouled plug doesn't necessarily mean the tip is dirty Usually the plug is grounding itself out way up between the porcelain insulator and the threads usually from being gas or oil soaked. I've seen fouled plugs that "look" fine but they are bad plugs. I'm sure there is a spark plug engineer here somewhere that can explain it better. That is why any amount of cleaning will not bring a fouled plug back to life so it is better to buy a new one.

handleme46

Apr 11, 2003
i bought the bike with a br9eg in it and it was fine. I tried running the cheaper, br9es, and it runs great at full throttle, but you runner lower rpm's for like a min, and it fouls and dies. so im forced to buy the more expensive plug, maybe if i run a br8es it will keep it from fouling. i usually do run the bike at higher rpm's to keep it clean, but a lot of my riding is on tight woods trails, so i wonder if the br8 plug would help me out
anybody got any advice on if running the br8 in a 125 will harm it?

fbonneville

Mar 19, 2003
I use a BR8EG in my 99 RM 125 and it works great. That's the best plug I've run this far and it has lasted me almost 6 months and still starts on 1st kick. Granted they cost a bit more but between the reliability and lasting of it, I'd say it's well worth the extra dollar or two.

Just my 2 $ ;)

jcramin

~SPONSOR~
Aug 14, 2002
I have used degreaser and a wire wheel to clean pugs when needed

handleme46

Apr 11, 2003
yea your rite, it seems to me that the eg's just seem to last longer for the few extra bucks. I guess i will try the br8eg, and as long as it stays a nice brown color i will know its not harming my bike.... i cant wait to just put a plug in it that will let me start it up, warm it up slowly, go rip on it for a few hours, putt-putt back to the house, shut it off, and be able to start it again w/o problems for a good long time.

muscle

Mar 17, 2002

Maybe there is some other issue with your bike such as incorrect float level, or jetting that is causing the plug to prematurely foul.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
Muscle is the man...Buy cheap and buy often. I have done this for 30 years. Jeting correctly never hurt either.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…