EricGorr

Super Power AssClown
Aug 24, 2000
125 INVADER: BACK TO THE FUTURE OF DIRT BIKING

Heres some good humor for you guys to ponder. Back in the early 1980s we took a lot of flack for our experiments in new dirt bike designs, but the funniest cracks came from a magazine whose name I won’t mention but its initials are MXA. They featured the only published photo of this bike in an article titled stupidest bikes of all time or ugliest bikes that never made it or something equally moronic. And people wonder why we’re so negative about they’re influence on the engineering side of our sport?

Just for the record, here is a list of some of the things that we experimented with and were first to deploy on two-stroke dirt bikes. Many of these ideas were incorporated into production dirt bikes or exploited by the aftermarket.

1) First example of a mass centralized dirt bike, with the fuel tank relocated to a free space above the right side engine cover. Suzuki and Honda adapted the idea for their supercross factory bikes soon after. Now all modern dirt bikes feature this idea.

2) First use of a fuel pump in order to prevent float bowl foaming and subsequent bogging when landing from big jumps. Honda used a similar set up on Donnie Hansen’s factory supercross bike.

3) First use of louvers on a radiator. We mounted the large single radiator on the left side of the engine and used the plastic body work to form ducting to route the air in and out. The result was a much narrower profile. We copped the idea from Ferrari’s F-1 car. In 1983 Yamaha introduced it on production Yzs.

4) First use of a full length seat that extended up to the steering head. Back then you could’nt slide forward on the seat because the fuel tanks were so wide and high. This bike enabled a new type of riding style which has become the defacto standard in dirt biking.

5) First use of crankcase effects, with a vaned crank and static diffusers positioned in the crankcase. This idea inspired many copy cats who misused the idea for fun and profit.

6) First use of a pulse-charged intake device. The Patent for that item was referenced on a series of Patents by Honda R&D, Toyota, and Yamaha for applications on four-stroke intake manifolds.

7) First use of plastic body work that enabled unobstructed movement of the rider across the motorcycle. The swept-back side number plates nearly got the bike banned from the NMA nationals because tech inspectors thought they were too sharp and a hazard. Back then Kaw had round number plates molded into the rear fender and they used to accumulate weight in mud. Ten years later the idea was revived by UFO and Acerbis but they failed to incorporate our ideas on ducting and the result was a body panel that contained the heat and carb overheating. Now all dirt bikes have swept back number plates and seamless sides.

8) First use of a triple clamp brace. This idea was later incorporated into triple clamp designs by WP and Paoli.

9) First use of a flat top piston on a 2-stroke dirt bike. Rich carved that thing up on the lathe and added gas ports to improve ring sealing. Now companies like Wiseco offer flat top pistons for a premium price.

10) First use of a dual spark plug ignition.

11) First use of thermal barrier coatings on the piston crown and combustion chamber. Rich found some ceramic epoxy that was good up to 3,500F and carefully applied it to the piston crown and head. It all blew off eventually but we thought it was cool. In later years Swain-Tech mastered the process with technology adapted from cookware.

12) First use of an insert in the head pipe to enable an additional reflection point for the compression wave in the mid-rpm range. Now its routine for manufacturers to include this idea into the exhaust manifolds.

13) First use of lightweight shock linkage struts with Heim joints. Back then RM and KXs used heavy steel tubing with dry bushings and funky off-sets. Rich got the bright idea to mount the struts in a straightline to reduce the need for a heavy strut. He threaded the rod with Heim joints to make it like an adjustable tie rod. This enabled quick changes in the attitude and pitch of the bike. Of course we made Rich ride the bike first since he was the heaviest and if it broke it would only hurt him! Later on this idea evolved into shorter or longer pull-rods, marketed by companies like DMC, PC, and White Bros.

14) First use of an air flow bench to aid in balancing the transfer port flow rates. Companies like Superflow now offer two-stroke test adapters for their line of benches.

Overall the bike was a blast to experiment on. Although it didn’t finish a lot of races, it raised a lot of eyebrows and scared the hell out of our competitors. The long term goal was to sell custom built motorcycles of all brands. The company that we worked for eventually went broke because of the impending recession and a massive downturn in off-road motorcycle sales. Efforts to borrow money were squashed. Rich went back to being an auto mechanic and I got a job as a carpenter, keeping my little porting business alive on a part time basis.

In hindsight I think that if we had taken our ideas to England we could’ve overcome the main obstacles like access to publicity in the dirt bike magazines, venture capital for business development, a motorcycle component manufacturing infastructure, and a growing motocross racing market.

When Rich and I were first clued in by the REV! guys about they’re mass customized concept bike we were really excited because that bike has so many features that we’ve been promoting for years. The REV! team has so many more advantages than we had at the time and that’s why we’re such strong supporters of theirs here on DRN. Best of luck to those dirt bike pioneers!

CanadianRidr

Sponsoring Member
Oct 22, 2001
:scream:
Rich and Eric, This is ALL news to me,
so basically you guys are saying you recieved no credit for how you changed motocross as we know it? I am shocked. The whole MXA thing will NEVER suprise me, Since I have read most of this stuff(months back), I have stopped buying the mag entirely.

Well I may not be a magazine but thank you guys SO MUCH, for making sure the plastic on my new CR is just that, plastic :), Thanks for making my seat nice and compact, thank you for making sure my rad was not mounted to the bars lol:confused:

Overall, thanks for changing the sport for the better:aj:

OldassKDX

Nov 9, 2000
I honestly did not know the history of DRN or most of the history behind many of the features of the Invader. More stories, Eric? Rich? This stuff is awesome!

My addiction grows

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
In 1998 Rich followed a thread on RMD
Editor steps in... slight mod to the story :confused:

Rich heard about DRN from MXTuner (on RMD), started posting here (I thought for sure he was a chemist for Amoco), asked him to moderate a forum, turned-out I am close to OT's.... Rich hooked us up ... a private SX track :cool:

We met, we rode. And have at least once a week since then. You should be out there when Eric shows-up... VERY cool stories fly around the pits. These guys have been there, done that. The industry insider/background is pretty amazing.

As far as what Rich is like out in the real world? Think of a person who would do anything for ya AND knows how to do it. You can bet your last dollar, whatever he does or says, he's got a ton of research in it and the reports & real world experience to back it up.

I of course have intentionally demonstrated lousy mechanical skills so Rich would feel compelled to be my mechanic. Needless to say, I've usually got the fastest bike on the block :scream:

TexKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 1999
Originally posted by 2fun
Hi! I am new here, so please excuse my ignorance, but what is your technical background on dirtbike/quad maintenance, etc.

I have read some of your posts, and was curious on your Background/knowledge/experience.

Thanks!:)

Rich is pretty modest, so let me clue you in on his training.

He worked at KMart for 10 years assembling Huffys with an impact wrench for 1 dollar each. His personal best was 20 in one hour - they had the Huffys on a Blue Light Special that day (instead of men's handkercheifs).

Hucker

~SPONSOR~
Sep 15, 2000
Thats insane, to know someone that has actually answered a question for me has had that much impact on the whole MX scene. Wow, just awesome you guys. I'll have a couple pints or 2 of Canada's finest waiting for you at DW'02 :)

So Cooperland allows kegs right? :p :p :p

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by Okiewan

Editor steps in... slight mod to the story :confused:

Rich heard about DRN from MXTuner (on RMD), started posting here (I thought for sure he was a chemist for Amoco

The fumes from plating must have muddied Eric's recall :)

My first post on DRN was me busting Tuner's chops for posting something inaccurate about fuel. Go figure :) Tuner took it in the sprit it was intended and we had some fun in the thread. I had been lurking on DRN for a month or so before that first post, and it was obvious DRN had a better signal to noise ratio then any of the other places on the net I was frequenting so I started posting here. I never looked back. Okie and I became fast friends when we started riding together and I've become very protective of DRN since. Some say too protective, but that's just a character flaw I'm stuck with. Okie masterminded the whole thing , I was just a lucky recipient of his hard work just like the rest of the members.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by Hucker
Thats insane, to know someone that has actually answered a question for me has had that much impact on the whole MX scene.

The impact the bike had wasn't by some grand plan on our part. We were just looking for a better way to do things and it seemed to work out. It's funny how seemingly simple things you do can impact things you never dreamed of. Life sure is funny that way.

Bikes are so good these days that it's much tougher to stumble across the next big thing but it sure as hell hasn't stopped us from trying . Cool things are still happening behind the scenes that hopefully will bear fruit somewhere down the line.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Re: Re: Rich Rohrich

Originally posted by TexKDX
He worked at KMart for 10 years assembling Huffys with an impact wrench for 1 dollar each. His personal best was 20 in one hour - they had the Huffys on a Blue Light Special that day (instead of men's handkercheifs).

It's funny that you bring that up. When I started to work for Vic Krause I was a fully certified NIASE (now ASE) auto mechanic having just finished a couple of years working as a Ford line mechanic. I was about 19 at the time. Guys in the auto trade learn to be fast or they learn to be VERY POOR, so air ratchets and other trick speed tools are standard fair but they weren't really widely used in motorcycle shops in the 70's so when I showed up weilding those types of tools I got a lot of cross-eyed looks. At that time LOP was THE hop up shop in MX. They were the Pro Circuit and FMF of the day. LOP was based out of the Chicago suburbs and the owner Lorenz Offner was a close friend of Krause's. Lorenz used to come and hang out at Krause's shop and I would occasionally do some mechanical/assembly work for him . Lorenz was pretty opinionated and considered auto mechanics nothing but hacks. He really enjoyed pulling my chain about my roots. During the course of one of these episodes the hot-headed 19 year old in me came out and I threw down the gauntlet. He had a CR125 test bike there that needed a crank changed. I bet him $20 that I could pull the engine and put the crank in his hand faster than anyone he had ever seen. He said no one could do that in less than 25-30 minutes. The pipe and carb were already off the bike and it was air-cooled so I knew he was TOAST. So I layed a sheet on the shop floor, staged all the necessary tools whipped out my air ratchet and in just over 7 1/2 minutes he had a CR125 crank in his hand. Back then I made about 4 dollars an hour and drove about 60 miles round trip to work so $20 was a ton of money. He was so blown away he gave me $50 and a job offer :) Lorenz told me later that he had a side bet with Krause for $50 that I could do it but I never knew for sure if that was true. Knowing Vic he probably did bet against me :D I sure miss air-cooled bikes :)

CanadianRidr

Sponsoring Member
Oct 22, 2001
attachment.php

Rich here is your seat up to the tank idea on a new bike!!!
WoW, probably not the reason you would like it to be used for but it's still cool :aj:

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
Rich,

Super Hunky tells a few great LOP/Krause stories in his book, Monkey Butt. Were you around then? Didn't LOP make Marty Smith's YZ? The one that he won Carlsbad on? My memory is a little sketchy on this. I've only read the book about 4 times. The pieces of the stories that I can remember is Krause driving a piece of junk car...maybe a Buick with the front end out of alignment. Ummm...Krause picking up Hunk at the airport in Chicago to hang out for a few days before going to Indy for the trade show. Lorenz meeting them for dinner and talking so loud that they practically get thrown out of the restaraunt. Didn't Hunky race the LOP YZ at the Dave Coomb's promoted race on a former city golf course? I think he mentioned that Krause paid for a meal with his AMA card...telling the waitress that is was a special credit card only for doctors.

Finally, Rich, Did you actaully write the answers for the original MR. KNOW IT ALL? Enquiring minds want to know. ;)

TexKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 1999
Nice story, Rich. You have definately been in the thick of things for a long time. Say, how about giving me your ship-to address - I have an Ossa motor that needs gaskets, crank seals, and bearings. How's 100 bucks and hour sound - might take you 30 minutes or so? ;) After all, it IS air cooled...

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by Timr
. Lorenz meeting them for dinner and talking so loud that they practically get thrown out of the restaraunt. Didn't Hunky race the LOP YZ at the Dave Coomb's promoted race on a former city golf course? I think he mentioned that Krause paid for a meal with his AMA card...telling the waitress that is was a special credit card only for doctors.

Finally, Rich, Did you actaully write the answers for the original MR. KNOW IT ALL? Enquiring minds want to know. ;)

I don't remember if LOP did Marty Smith's bike but they did do Marty Moates bike. In fact Lorenz brought Marty's bike to the first Santa Fe Speedway stadium race and proceeded to crash so hard in practice that he made them bring out the bulldozer and change the jump on the front straight. Any story involving Lorenz, Vic Krause and getting tossed out of someplace is invariably true. They were a dangerous pair, mix in Rick Seiman and you have a veritable crime spree :)

The best replys in the original Mr. KNow It All column came from the twisted mind of Jimmy McMahon, ex-Triumph factory dirt tracker and Krause counter man/ Store Manager in the 70's. Krause would walk through the shop ask a question and Jimmy would fire off a couple incredibly funny replys . I last heard from Jimmy when I ran into him at my first bicycle criterium race. He owned a BMX shop called Sundance Cycles somewhere in the suburbs of Chicago. He spotted me in the final sprint because I was the only one who didn't look like a bicycle racer :)

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by CanadianRidr
attachment.php

Rich here is your seat up to the tank idea on a new bike!!!
WoW, probably not the reason you would like it to be used for but it's still cool :aj:

The funny part is the original incarnation of the Invader bike had wheel covers. We eventually had to take them off because we regularly ran the bike at the Sante Fe Speedway stadium races where they would use the long flat track straight-aways. Tapped out in fifth gear with a cross wind was a little too hairy with the wheel covers. :scream:

When Pete Dennison of A-Loop first unveiled their FMX body kit at Indy a couple of years back Eric and I had a weird acid flash back looking at the bike. :eek:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by yzeater
Was Lane Tech a magnet school?

It was an Engineering Prep school. The difference was it was a public school. The reason that is significant is in the Chicago Public School system if you live in the same district as a school they can't deny you entrance. Lane was the only public school at the time you had to qualify to attend and your district didn't matter. I was fortunate to have had the chance to attend that school. I came away with a useful swiss army knife style set of skills that enabled me to be fairly employable without any college.

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
Originally posted by Rich Rohrich
...mix in Rick Seiman and you have a veritable crime spree :)
Now that's what I like to hear. :confused:

EricGorr

Super Power AssClown
Aug 24, 2000
Rich and I didn’t build the Invader because we were looking for recognition. We were looking to get people to think differently, to start interesting discussions, kind of like what we do in this forum on DRN.

Our prime motivation for this project came from a conversation with Danny Magoo Chandler. In 1981 he was a privateer riding an RM125 and was half sponsored by Krause and George Quay’s first suspension business Keystone Motocross. I built Danny’s engines that year and he spent the summer living at Krause’s house/shop. In 1980 when the Maico Magnum was introduced, Rick Sieman the editor of Dirt Bike magazine and he had the brilliant idea of getting Magoo to throw the bike around for some photos. To highlight the new frame, Rick rigged a small windshield bottle from a VW in order to remove the fuel tank and expose the new frame. It was a famous photo shoot because Magoo pretty much invented freestyle mx and those photos captured it in print. When we asked Magoo about the shoot, he commented that the bike handled better without the fuel tank because it was so narrow and light feeling, but unfortunately the fuel supply would only last for a few jumps.

In 1982 we built our version of the mass centralized dirt bike and brought it to George Quay’s shop in Beaver Falls prior to the High Point National. Back then everybody used to hang out there, working on bikes, goin’ riding, shootin the bull, and wreaking havoc on Beaver Falls. I showed Magoo our bike for the first time, telling him that our conversation the previous year motivated us to build it. He had a good laugh ripping around George’s shop on the bike. The the number 1 & 2 points leaders in the 250 class dropped by and scoped out the bike; Ricky Johnson and Kenny Keylon. RJ was riding a factory Yamaha with the big high tank and the radiator mounted to the triple clamp. Kenny was riding the factory Honda. We talked about weight bias and riding and such. RJ brought up an interesting point that top heavy bikes were easy to throw down in a turn and it seemed that the greater the displacement the more beneficial it was for the bike to be top heavy. The next year RJ was signed to Honda and Yamaha started shifting down the mass of their bikes except the 490 which retained the “high and wide” look.

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
Originally posted by Rich Rohrich

I don't remember if LOP did Marty Smith's bike but they did do Marty Moates bike.

Sorry...I meant Marty Moates...I realized that I typed the wrong name on my way home from work. Just another end of work day brain fart. :scream:

fastwes

Nov 29, 2000
I wish my camera at the Indy show was digital. The picture hanging in my shop I took of Eric (king of ALL Moto media) and Rich (don't say your fuel burns faster) standing and smiling together says it all.There is less hair and a little more mass than the other picture but it is otherwise EXACTLY the same. Two good friends who have done much together and just love laughing about it all. I've never met a more helpfull, good and honest person( who is a competitor!) in the motorcyce industry than Eric. He isn't jealous or stingy about ideas or advice. Rich I don't know very well but the energy, intellect, enthusiasm, and humor scream whenever you wright. We are indeed lucky to have these two amigos on DRN.
Thanks Okie and all,
Wes Gilbert
Boyesen Precision Porting
PS Rich, What the hell do you think a piston top is??? A golf ball??? just tighten the squish up if you want turbulance!

Top Bottom