Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
http://www.motostrano.com/Supermoto-s/2852.htm is a great source for parts and complete SM packages. If you are going to ride it on the street you might want a stronger lighting coil setup . http://www.electrosport.com/ is a great source for lighting coil and rectifiers. AJ has a relationship with them so check with him first. Also on the street cooling can be an issue if you have to sit in traffic. I believe the 450X has a fan, but an overflow tank would be useful, and you might want to talk to AJ and find out if the Boyesen water pump upgrades are worth the money. Adding one of the extra capacity oil tanks that the desert guys use would be useful as well on the street. Extra oil capacity will help keep the temps down and will also give you a little insurance as these things do use some oil.

17" wheels are super awesome, but you'd be shocked how good these bikes will work with a good street 21" and 18" tire on the stock rims. Motostrano will be able to hook you up with either.

In my mind the most important thing you can do is buy the biggest best brakes you can afford. You can never have too much brake or too much lever feel (a function of master cylinder piston size and caliper volume/sizing) . I use the stock Honda master cylinder with a Motomaster 320mm floating disk and the Motomaster caliper. http://www.motostrano.com/Motomaster-Supermoto-Brake-Caliper-Adaptor-p/m104.htm

I always thought it worked really well but after riding the Ducati with the Monobloc Brembos I got an idea what super powerful brakes with tons of feel are like and I realize the money for a master cylinder is totally worth it. An upgrade is in my near term future.

Gearing is the other thing that is tricky. I'm not sure how the internal ratios differ between the F & X so I'd check the SM forums to see what guys are running on the X .

AJ has built a few street legal SMs so I'd talk to him as well . I'm sure he has insights I'm missing.

The forums @ http://www.supermotojunkie.com/ were a good source of info in the past. I haven't checked in for a while but it's worth a look.

There used to be some SM guys on Thumpertalk but I haven't been there in 5 years or more so ....

If I can help in any way just let me know.

Last edited:

Thump

Jr Admin Type
Jan 17, 2000
Got my bike. 1 hour on it. Dude rode it, crashed it. Sat in his garage and now sold it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 113
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 108
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 108
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 115

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
The perfect used bike!

I bought an RZ350 from an accountant the same way. He looped it in front of his house and the wife made him sell it. I think it had 13 miles on it . Broken plastic, bent subframe (easily fixed) and a virgin engine. It was on a racetrack a few weeks later. LOL

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
GREAT DEAL !

MXSparx

Mr. Meltsomeglass
Jul 25, 1999
NoVa
Crashed it? Must have hit a pile of marshmallows? Awfully clean great find!

Thump

Jr Admin Type
Jan 17, 2000
Got the brake light working this weekend and rode to work today. :-)

Changing sprockets. Considering a 14/42. Thoughts? Too tall? not tall enough?
Wanted to go 15/44 but read that was too tall for a stock 450X?

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Thump - I'm not sure what I have on my CRF, I'll check it when I get home tonight.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Good approach :THUMB:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Before I got the 17" wheels for my XR660L Motard I rode it for a while with the MX-Tech lowered DTX suspension setup and dual sport tires in 21 & 18. I rode it under more than a few full tilt sportbikes in the super twisty Kenilworth ravines just north of Chicago. Given a decent set of road tires in those sizes at the time I might have never switched to the full supermoto wheels. It was a blast even with the big wheels and knobbyish tires. Granted, Jeremy's stellar suspension work likely played a huge role.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Jer's DTX lowering & revalving suspension package works outstanding on the street, and I thought it was still awesome on MX tracks without a lot of jumps. Money well spent, plus the drop in center of gravity does wonders for the handling.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom