truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
It all started Friday night. The sky was clear and you could see the stars shimmering as if they had a story to be told.

After patiently waiting to get in the gate we rushed towards sign-up in anticipation of what lie ahead. The time was right at 9pm... when registration was supposed to end but through the kind hearts of the staff I was still able to sign up.

Feeling that the turnout would be large I decided to sign up for +25c/d and +30c/d. The past couple of times the 250D and Unl Rookie classes were very large gates and although I could race with a few people I found myself settling on positions because it was too difficult to pass or I could not find a line that would give me an advantage. In all seriousness I found more excuses to finish poorly than motivation to charge ahead.

I was hoping the age classes would give me a safer run and allow me to drive harder for the grueling laps that await me.

Last week I did the +30c/d class after running the heats. I was not aware at the time but I was the only person in the class so I easily netted my first and probably only win ever. A hollow victory but one that immediately vaulted me to the points lead in the class.

This week that would not be the case. 19 old geezers joined in the +30c/d class and 11 in the +25 c/d class.

Finally, around 11pm after suffering a rear tire blowout on the motorhome Gomer arrives. Jenni, Mike and I talk for a little while about the enjoyment I had with the book The Davinci Code by Ron Brown as well as some topics about bikes. Then it was off to bed for a few hours of sleep.

As I moved from sleep to groggy to awake I knew the weekend would not be an easy one from the turnout. The pits were packed and the announcer said that over 600 people total were there. As I rolled to the staging area I could see that the practices were large. Over 60 people were in one practice when we went out. It was mayhem. Crashes and red cross flags all over the place.

I just held my line and tried to get used to the new auto-clutch had installed. The auto-clutch itself is a work of art. It works off of centrifugal force with 30 well placed ball bearings in place. The ball bearings are put in a modified pressure plate that replaces the stock plate and springs.

As the rpm's rise the ball bearings move outward and push the inner plate to help "slip" the clutch. It is not new technology but newly added to the bigger bore bikes like my CRF450. The adjustment is as easy as adjusting your stock clutch. There is an additional barrel in-line of the clutch adjuster and cable where you do your external adjustments for either a high or slow stall speed.

For this weekend I finally settled on a slightly slow stall speed. It was higher than I will use in the trails but lower than what the manufacturer recommended. I was having problems in practice with the way the bike would react at the higher stall speed so I put it on a setting that was more comfortable to my riding style.

In heat one the not so young +25 year olds got on the track. I tried my start in 3rd gear hoping the roll on power and slipping of the auto-clutch would give me an advantage. Unfortunately, as a result of my poor timing and my caution with the throttle I ended up with a last place start. I tried to get in with the group during the first 3 turns but soon after they left me.

I charged as hard as I could and I know I was going faster than I did the weeks prior because I ended up going down in a corner when my front end washed out. Normally, I do not crash. The saying is, if you don't crash you are not riding hard enough. Well, I was as far out of control as I was willing to go and lowsided in the corner. I initially knocked the wind out of myself but no major damage.

In the second heat I did much better paired with the older gentlemen of the +30c/d class. I believe I finished 11th of 19 in the 3 laps. However, there was a pile up early in the race that I came away from unscathed. I was sure the main would be more interesting for me as I continued to struggle with the riding style modification necessary to ride with the auto-clutch.

I was confident now how the clutch would react but I was not liking how it was in the corners. I never was good in the turns but this time I was worse. Maybe this is where the higher stall speed would have been helpful?

The external over-ride was not much help since it engaged at different points depending on where the rpm's were. Therefore trying to slip the clutch manually was not working well unless I pulled the lever all the way in with all my fingers.

During the intermission between heats and mains we ate. We ate too much. It did not take long before I was asleep in Gomer's motorhome, Wrench was sacked out in the passenger seat of the motorhome and Gomer was asleep in a lawn chair. Fortunately, we all awoke in time for our first main.

As the gate dropped I had a better start but still last. In the next few corners I was left to fend for myself. It was now just me versus the track. Originally, this is what I wanted... an opportunity to learn how to go faster. However, I was left so badly that I was wondering if I made the right choice.

I decided to charge forward and go as fast as I felt I could. As I was racing I came upon a stalled rider and tried to get by him but hit him and then almost went down. I kept the balance I needed but ended up off the track and going downhill in the opposite direction. If it was not for the auto-clutch I definately would have stalled but instead I simply had to get my bearings and get back on the track.

I came close to going over the bars a few times in the braking bumps that had developed during the day. Still I charged and worked as hard as I could not to be lapped. The +35am class came upon me too quickly though. I then worked my way over to let them by safely since I was not challenging anyone for a position.

I ended up 11th out of 11 in the class but I did run faster than I felt I have before at the track.

In the final moto the more mature +30c/d riders lined up. We took off and again I was last off the start. However, there a hole that I could jump through in the first corner. I quickly moved up 4 or 5 places.

The good fortune of moving up did not last long as everyone moved through the corners well. I soon found myself in 19th place as I chaced the other riders. None of them moved far from me. It appeared that after the start paced everyone that we all stayed the same speed to the end. I pushed as hard as I could for all 5 laps but never could make any time on the riders ahead of me.

My biggest problem of course was the corners.

In the end I finished 19th out of 19th. I was happy though. I am sure at the speed I was racing I would have contended for a trophy in the 250D and Rookie class but it was much more gratifying to know that I was pushing myself the entire race.

The only thing I did not like about it was that Danny did not have anyone he knew in any of his races. I believe that next week I'll run Unlimited Rookie with Danny and the +30c/d class.

As for the clutch. In motocross I do not see the need for the auto clutch. I will say that my arms did not hurt at all after either race adn I did not pump up. The past two weeks my hands hurt unbelievably bad. The auto clutch at least helped with that but the added slowness in the corners made the pain seem like a good trade off for speed.

Next week I have a harescramble and an MX. After the harescramble I'll make a determination on whether I will keep the auto-clutch or not. So far for MX I do not like it for my riding style. However, before making a final decision I will adjust it more and try a few different things.

The odd thing is that what I missed the most was the ability to slip it in the corners. I know I did not slip it well on my own but it was very hard for me to adjust to letting the auto-clutch slip on its own.

Anyway, that was my weekend... what about yours?

Ivan

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Tommy, Danny, and I each raced 2 classes Saturday and then rode most all day Sunday (10-6). I am a sore puppy.

At the race Saturday they had an Easter Egg hunt. I went out with Tommy and he found 6. On our way back we went by a 3 or 4 year old girl with an empty basket. I told Tommy, "That little girl doesn't have any eggs." He went over and gave her one. I'm real proud of him!

What Ivan didn't mention is that he still has a commanding lead in the +30 class after his win the week before. I managed to get 2nd in that class this weekend. Saturday was the first time in my 20 year riding career that I actually passed someone for the lead. I slid out and lost it less than a half a lap later, but I did pass 4 or 5 to get to the lead. I've gotten many holeshots and even stayed in front for a few over the years, but I usually get good starts and work my way back. I was very happy afterwards. I didn't even mind when the 3rd place rider tried to cut me off two turns before the finish and slid into me. I stayed on the gas and leaned over a little farther expecting to get hit. He did, stood me up straighter, then followed me to the flag.

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
Stumpy said:
Ivan, which spring are you using in the perch adjuster?

I'm using the stiffer spring.

I'm hoping I like it better in the woods.

Gomer said:
What Ivan didn't mention is that he still has a commanding lead in the +30 class after his win the week before.

I think there are 2 possible reasons I did not get a win this time.

1) The auto-clutch
or
2) There was more than just me in the class this time.

Ivan

Top Bottom