Riding and Racing in the Tahoe/Reno area

Bandit9

Jul 14, 2002
I am researching moving to the Reno/Carson City area of Nevada. I currently ride and race in the south. I have an average of about 5-8 hour drives each way for the harescramble circuit I have been running. Is the District 36 HS/Enduro series the only series out there that would be under a 5 hour drive from the Reno area? How about just riding on the weekends? Is there good woods riding with an hour of Lake Tahoe? Thanks.

Dave Wood

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 2000
If you want to try desert racing MRANN promotes a good series in Northern Nevada.

For Enduros and Cross Country D36 is it. The longest drive will be to Clear Creek for the Quicksilver National Enduro and the Wild Boar Enduro, about six hours from Tahoe.

There is plenty of good riding in the Sierra and Nevada desert. You should join the High Sierra MC if you like riding the technical trails.

velosapiens

Mar 18, 2002
what dave said, only more. i haven't tried any desert races yet, but i may do my first sep 21. most of the mrann circuit is within 1-4 hrs of reno. i've done several enduros, and the d36 enduros are around 2.5-5 hrs away. fool's gold and 49'er (and little polecat, i guess) are in the sierra foothills, so they are closer than the wfo, cowbell, sawmill and jackhammer which are in the mendocino nat'l forest, on the other side of the sacramento valley.

there is decent riding in the sierras, and also right out of reno, and in the pinenuts (out of carson city/minden). much of it is not easy to find, so dave's suggestion of joining high sierra mc is a good one.
-mark weaver

Bandit9

Jul 14, 2002
Thank you Mr. Wood. That is the type of info I am looking for. I am a single track lover. What is the situation on woods riding in Nor Cal? Looks like I would only be a few hours from most anywhere in NE Cal. I am hoping there are legal riding areas there?

Bandit9

Jul 14, 2002
velosapiens and dirt bike dave, thank you very much for the info. I had my fingers crossed that there was ample riding for me out that way. Reno is looking good. Actually Carson City is looking good.

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
Foresthill can/does get snowed in - in fact just about anything on the western slope of the sierras will be snowed in during winter. Middle Creek & Stonyford (Mendocino NF) are usually open with the trails at higher elevations closed due to snow. Hollister & Clear Creek are usually open year round.

Brian

Bandit9

Jul 14, 2002
Oh, Idaho will be roosted by me! It just won't happen every weekend. One big reason I am looking at the Reno/Tahoe area is the proximity to riding in every direction. Oregon, Idaho, Washington, Utah, Colorado, So Cal, Baja, Northern Cal, Arizona, New Mex, even Canada! Drive 7-10 hrs and you are doing some great riding.

Top Bottom