2-Strokedness

Oct 24, 2005
Second post for me, I would just like to illustrate what my heart's set on in terms of appareal and ridng gear, and your views, opinions on it.
I have to admit I am very brand loyal with everything in my life, right down to shoes and clothes, even girls if we put them into the equation, but I have always had a noticeable soft spot for one brand in particular: Axo.....
I remember seeing the old, and new adds in old and new-ish copies of "Dirt Rider"/"MXUK"/Moto magazines. Starts with one of their riders snapped up for the shot, and the display of one of their new products, usually; remember at the start and sometimes the end of every copy of "Dirt Rider" displaying the new RC5 boots, in red and white!!:yikes:
Don't get me wrong, Alpinestars and the like still turn the right buttons in some repsects with me, but not in the depth or ways Axo does, it really grabs me by the nuts, whenever a new product is released by them, let alone the number of times I've visited their website from the past to present........
As my first set of gear, and the fact I'll be on an decent budget, I want to be safer rather than sorry. I do repsect the sport and the falls you guys, and the pros take, it's what makes it what it is today, minus teh competition factor, so putting it all into context the upmost of what my future budget would allow is: £800/$1413.40 cents, for the Yanks.
You can view all the products I'm about to ask your views upon:
http://www.axo.it/front.html and http://www.smithoptics.com

Firstly as a helmet I plan on getting my head covered with Axo's newly released "Switch" helmet, in the red and grey colourscheme.

As far as googles go Smith is my way to go and the "Piston" set in blue chrome/ blue fade colourchemes.

As for my torso: Axo Sport Jersey, in blue.

Protection as a whole: Axo Vortex Evo Chest guard, Axo race belt (blue).

Pants would be Axo Pheonix Race Pants in black.

Gloves for my mitts: Axo Ride 06 gloves in blue again.

Boots would just have to be the new RC6 in either blue or white.

Thats it for me as far as riding gear goes, whats your views on the list penned above, bearing in mind you HAVE taken a look at both sites or own the above mentioned gear?
What riding gear do you have to yourselfs, what do you rate it as, and how much did it set you financially?
Anything else ?
Thanx for your back up on this peeps.;)

karterron

~SPONSOR~
Mar 24, 2002
All good choices, quality stuff. Gear really comes down to personal taste and budget. The most important thing is to GET IT. Don't be another quad guy in jeans and boots. I have always mixed up my brands and went with the style I like. Currently I have Shift Mach pants, jersey, gloves and a Shift Chest Protector. Sidi Force SRS boots, best I have ever warned and make Tech 8's feel cheap. I picked up a Fox Bubba Replica helmet for $100 on a closeout, I was going to buy a Troy Lee Henry helmet but when I got there they had this one on sale so I bought it.

2-Strokedness

Oct 24, 2005
I agree the Tech8's are overatated, whats the brand RC is linked up with now, its in a development phaze, trying to get the recognition in Motocross, we could be having sick ass products from them, developed and maybe a signature model through him.
What about the Tech10's? Anyone got some opinions on them, they look sweet because they look more like a real shoe/trainer, but obviously well protected throughout.
Good choice on your boots, heard alot of positive feedback on them.;)

Masterphil

DRN's Resident Lunatic
Aug 3, 2004
I tend to buy me gear not based on brand, but on how it feels/looks. I will usually have the pants/jersey match, but anything else is fair game. Here's what I'm looking at for new gear this summer. It's been about 4 years since I've bought anything more than goggles and gloves, so i'm due for a new set:
Helmet:TLD Henry helmet in blue (that flaming carb graphic is awesome)
Jersey: TLD Grand Prix Air in white (It's got lots of white, it gets hot here in the summer)
Pants: TLD Grand Prix Air in white
SixSixOne or nemesis pressure suit/bodyarmor (sometimes I ride like a jackass, I need all the protection I can get)
Sidi Force SRS boots in white
Asterisk Cell braces
Gloves: The most comfortable that I can find, reguardless of brand.
Goggles: Orange O-Frame Oakley's

2-Strokedness

Oct 24, 2005
Beuty is only skin deep, granted, I know every company likes to say, sway the general public to buy "their" products, but Axo is different to the normal mass production facilities of say Alpinestars and most cash incencitive brands.
The company started in Motocross, and built on from there, not too long ago they had just started developing their on road products.
All their stuff is backed and tested throughout the companies workers and staff, through the racers and the like.
(I should be getting payed for this)
Most things Motocross are miles away from me, all the way up "narth" and I can only take views from you or a mag or a website, it's not all about looks, yer, it's not all about comfort, although it is a priority, its also about the design, function, build quality, down to every last detail and how it blends with one and another, those to me are all priorities,as long as they work in collaboration, and complement each other, from the tech specs on Axo's site it seems bullet proof to me, and every mag rates the comfort of ANY Axo product.
If you get up close and analyze Alpinestar gear you realize actually how **** and cheaply made it is, unless your getting their top of the range models.
Alot of notorious barnds need the recognition, I wish Osiris skate shoe company would elaborate into this field, they already have an FMX team, here's hoping.:aj:

CleanCutDesigns

Registered
Mar 31, 2004
I agree AXO gear is very quality made and not saying that just cause I sell it, but I dont want to get in trouble for advertising..

< ADMIN EDIT: YOU JUST DID. DO NOT SPAM THIS BOARD >

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I started riding when there wasn't gear available for us.
It doesn't take long to realize, even when you are a ignorant kid with nothing but rip&tear on your mind, that wearing chuck taylors with no socks and cut-off jeans just doesn't cut it for long.

So we improvised. Most of us would wear boots of some sort..most would wear a boot that was very polular in the 70's that was a pull on with little brass rings on the sides.(I've never figured out quite what those were...lol) Some were a bit more discerning and would wear lace up work boots, which many found out were superior to the pull on. Even with our Toughskin jeans tucked firmly inside our pullons, there would always be that guy hollering to hold up, whilst he had to retrieve his boot from the muck. LOL...

Yeah, we knew that gear was available and could be ordered from California, but being able to afford such stuff was out of the question for most. And parents weren't near as educated on the sport of dirt biking and the safety that it requires. They weren't near as inclined to spring for any sort of items like real moto boots, as they saw that as bling that was for pros only.
Hell, we were just kids beating around and tearing up all the fields anyway. Right?

Times have changed and gear is readily available for all, and at affordable prices.
Moto gear has always had the utmost of safety in mind, while mixing that with the bling factor.
And now anyone who participates in this sport pretty much accepts that they MUST incorporate quality safety gear. -Save for Goober and his home slices, who are riding qwads with cases of brew tied to the back.

I think the best advise has been given...just get it. Whatever the brand name or style you prefer, just make certain you get gear that keeps you as safe as possible.
Comfort and style should be second in all cases.

Figure out what is most important to protect, and work from there.
For me it's:
Headbone/Eyes
Feet
Knees
Hands/Fingers
Skin
Ego
in that order.

Affordability will play a role in all of your decisions for the most part. So obviously you want to choose gear that provides the most protection for the lowest cost.
But be very careful on what you consider value. Your body parts are very important and sometimes whats considered an extravagant price may well be an absolute value, in comparison to the problems associated with going cheap can provide.

Using the bulk of your money for the proven quality equipment, like helmets and knee braces, could leave you with only enough money to purchase the less than bling pants, shirt and gloves.
And many will comprimise and go cheaper with the safety gear in order to be able to afford the sick riding gear as well. Mistake..but often happens.

Get a quality helmet and a quality set of knee braces. Even if you have to buy they plain white model of a helmet, get the best you can afford. I'm not saying get the most expensive...I'm saying the best. You will have to rely on any mfg provided info/testing data, and talk from others on that one.

The rest of your gear is a style and comfort thing. Yes, safety to a certain extent due to the materials these items are made of (kevlar, etc..)
Goggles are all safety approved and cheap enough to not worry about what brand.
Pants and shirts should be ordered a bit larger. The tapered look does nothing for the comfort and moveablility you need on the bike.

If you want to go big on the high dollar shirts and pants, be certain you don't comprimize on the more important items in your gear bag.

And always take what a mfg provides you with a grain of salt.
It is their business to provide elevated generalaties and improvised comparative statistactoids to sway the consumers purchase.

Boards like this one are invaluable for making intelligent decisions on gear purchases.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
LOL Jaybird... Since those high-dollar Hi-Points were out of the question, we resorted to lineman boots ... took FORVER to lace those things up. Seems like I recall the hi-points costing over a $100 ?? ... that was a LOT of $$ back in the day and consider that a new 125 was in the 6-700 range.

Top Bottom