MSopm17

Jun 28, 2007
This will be the first time i'd be riding in the rain....will it affect the engine or anything like that? Will there be any issues as long as i clean the bike after?

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
No problems from riding in the rain. If you do a lot of riding through standing water it will splash up and you'll need to re-grease your wheel bearings and shock linkage / swingarm bearings, though.

If you ride through really deep water you might want to look into how to dry out a bike after it has been totally submerged. I can't help you with that, though, as I am disavowing any knowledge of the subject.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Where's Capt. D the U-Boat commander?!

JD_MXRacer

Nov 27, 2006
keep your feet down when you turn. thats how i got my very first crash was riding in the rain. the back just slipped right out from under me. but as far as the bike goes you should be fine

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
The wet won't hurt the bike, but if you have handguards, use them. Dry gloves, grips and levers are nice.

The biggest issue might be vision. Your gogles might fog up much easier than normal. Lower your helmet's visor to give a little more roost protection.

If you wear your pant legs inside your boots, run a band of tape along the top of your boot to keep water out.

ZOMBIE666

Mar 24, 2006
you may want to grease your sparkplug cap, ive had my bike cut out due to water getting in there and shorting out the cap to the cyl head while running through water. i had a new plug cap at the time too!

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
The only issue I have with rain riding is vision. Because I'm too darn cheap to buy tear-off's, I keep a few paper towels stuffed in my pants so I can wipe the goggles. Of course, if you stay out in front, mud is never an issue.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
I do use tear offs, but seldom in the rain. The water likes to get between them and the lens which makes it really hard to see straight. I can't speak for laminated tear offs though, they may be better.

Top Bottom