swingarm

Aug 15, 2002
The first time I tried to use the iron sights on my ruger mini-30 after mounting a raised scope I had a lump on my fore head for a week. Another thing I learned, If you ever get the chance to fire a .50 cal desert eagle do not shoot limp wristed! The empty brass bounces off your fore head leaving a nice half round cut.

Neil Wig

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 22, 2000
I used to do a lot of tenting....until I tented along Heritidge Lake in northern Saskatchewan...during a bear migration.... I bought a truck and camper the following week....but I digress. Anyhoo, I have a short (legal length) pistol grip mossberg 3" magnum 12 ga. for bear protection (SSG, Slug, SSG, Slug...). A good friend was...for reasond I cannot comprehend...trying to sight down the barrel. Did I mention it was a pistol grip? Anyhow, he pulls the trigger, and cracks himself right on the beak with his own fist. I was howling with laughter...in hind sight, maybe not the smartest thing with his pride hurt and him armed.

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
Speaking of bears, I made a trip to Alaska last August to do some fishing. I carried my 9mm Ruger (small caliber, but I carried 31 rounds including the gun and spare mag!). A week before we arrived, some residents from Anchorage killed a charging griz in the same spot we were fishing with a 9mm, using 7 rounds! According to the F&G rep who examined the dead beast, the rounds directed at the animals head…………..bounced off! Talk about some very lucky fellows!

I am planning to go back this summer and I will carry a .45acp this time. Still not the best bear gun but it’s the best I have. Maybe I should forgo the rifle and buy a magnum revolver instead, LOL!

Regarding rifles, the more I look, the more I think that a Remington 700 BDL in some .30 caliber variation would be my best choice for all around usage.

Thanks to everyone for the advice, good stuff!

Neil Wig

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 22, 2000
Back to the topic for a moment.

If your looking at the model 700, do some research regarding recalls. I believe there is a possible problem with the safety.

Regarding bears, I prefer big holes. SSG is a little bigger that 00 buck shot. I usually have alternating rounds in my shotgun. SSG, Slug, SSG, Slug...
Also, in Canada you can't carry a pistol. I think off duty officers have to abide by this, but I could be wrong there. I know us meer mortals can't carry a pistol in Canada.

Highbeam

~SPONSOR~
Jun 13, 2001
Here in washington they legalized hunting deer with pistols during modern rifle season. It always was legal with a big enough caliber and powder charge, nearly a 44 magnum or larger. Now it only depends on bullet diameter and the minimum is 9mm. My 40 s&w sidearm is now legally my backup deer hunting weapon.

The rifle I use is a Savage 110? 30-06. I like the 30-06 for the versatility. Deer, elk, bear, moose, coyotes, even the occasional chipmunk. The stock is wooden and the high gloss is beginning to show some wear in the form of flaking. My next big rifle will be synthetic stocked, stainless and have a shorter barrel.

canucklehead

Apr 13, 2000
Wow, sounds like a lot of experienced shooters on here. Personally, if I were to get only one gun, it'd be in 30-06. Probably the most versitile round out there. Wouldn't personally recommend 30-30 (not great downrange ballistics) or 7.62x39 (little underpowered IMHO for big game).

As far as rifles go, the Rem 700 series is a good basic. Personally, I prefer my Browning A-bolt, but the Remingtons have been around a loooong time. I second the XR Pred comment about the 710. Some think it's crap, others think it's a good deal. Shot one a few times, seemed okay for me! I would also recommend that whatever you get, get the stainless/synthetic model if possible. Wooden stocks are for old men... :)

Dave

Neil Wig

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 22, 2000
I found this with one search engine.

"The Remington Model 700 is one of the best selling bolt‑action rifles in America. Yet, reported cases have indicated that the rifle may fire unintentionally when the safety is released, but also upon bolt movement or merely as a result of jarring the firearm. Remington has been involved in at least 100 death and injury claims, and thousands of malfunction complaints."

This is a possible problem with the safety design. The liberals are blaming Remington, the realists are blaming the person who left the round in the chamber. Regardless what your point of view is, it is worth looking into.

With regard to the 30-06 or the .308 debate, I prefer .308 because of the shorter throw of the action. With a Browning lever, chambered for 30-06, the bolt damn near pokes you in the eye when you cycle the action.

The balistics are so very close to the same, I don't believe there would be a noticeable difference in downfield performance.

If you want down range hitting power, go into the magnum series. In my opinion, a magnum round is WAY too much for those coyote size deer you have down there. :p

Last edited:

hoosierf

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 6, 2001
Baderman:

Here's my two cents. I've been an avid midwestern deer hunter most of my 35 years. If you are thinking 30 cal, bolt action, remington and your not looking for a so called "bean field rifle," I have recommendation you should check out. Remington model 600 bolt gun. Not many made, but very very cool. They have a vent rib carbine barrel. Put a peep sight on it and it is hard to beat. They were made in 7-08 and .308. There really is no reason to buy the 708. It has no advantage other than lighter recoil.

Last edited:

weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
Those 600' (when you can find one) are really nice and a bit of a sleeper. There is another "sleeper" Remington you can get in 30-06. That is those goofy pump action 7600's. For what ever reason they shoot really well. I theorize its because the barrel is effectivley free floating and shoot consistently as a result.

If there are those who have to be different, I had a lot of luck& fun with a 6.5x55 rifle built on an old swedish mauser action. They shoot very well without much recoil. They also are a nice hunting round because of the cross sectional density, low recoil, consistence, and accuracy.

Unusual for a guy who spent time in the west, I never got along well with anything more intense than a 7mm mag. They just jar the crap outa me and make me flinch. I know some swear by them..I like putting time into a gun while means shooting a lot. Familiararity=accuracy under pressure to me. Thats why the less than exciting stuff works for me both target shooting and hunting.

(The early post about the advantages of a shorter .308 vs. 30-06 is true in my set of stuff too. Lighter package as a result as well and the .308 seems to be a little more consistent on my stuff when reloading for whatever reason...but I still prefer my 30-06. No real practical reason why...just what I still use most.)

Top Bottom