crazy4nitro

Aug 31, 2005
A person I was talking to said that anodized rims are easy to scratch. Should I buy the rim protectors and good tire irons or just let the shop install the tires? If the shop does it what should I expect them to charge me?

Crazy

crazy4nitro

Aug 31, 2005
Bumpty bump bump..

So you people that have anodized rims,how do you go about tire changes?

Crazy

KX02

Jan 19, 2004
All I can say is I bought the motion pro rim protectors hoping to avoid scratcing up the rims on my new KX and they fell apart by trying to use them for there inteneded purpose. I got my money back!

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
I still change my tires myself. The last time I had a tire put on was about 3 years ago. It was about $12. I try to be careful with the irons. I also generously lube the bead with Windex. I still get scratches on my black rims, though not many. I probably have more rock nicks than self-inflicted tire iron scratches.

crazy4nitro

Aug 31, 2005
Fru,good tip....
darringer,what irons do you use?anything special,I gonna buy a set.....but for $12 or somewhere close I might just take the it to be done.....then I must..resist the ...new "millville" hanging in the rack at the shop....85% tread left on the old one.. :bang:

Crazy

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
I just bought the longest irons I could find. Nothing special. With the added leverage, I seem to slip less and therefore scratch less. I don't remember what brand they are. They are pretty old. They weren't very expensive, though. I even tried coating the ends with the liquid plastic tool dip. But halfway through the install, it came apart. It did work at first.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Motion pro makes a curved iron that makes it easier to work around sprockets and brake discs. The trade off is that there seems to be a greater chance of pinching the tube with it. I use their 3 pc set with 3 diff sizes.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom