piperpilot12

Dec 20, 2002
I'm going to have a shop install a tire for me. They said instead of using a rim strip, they use duct tape because it sticks to the wheel and doesn't slide. Does anyone have any opinions as to whether this is a good idea?

Glitch

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2001
I dont know of anyone that leaves the rim strip in there. Duct tape is stronger and stays put. So if a spoke breaks, it wont puncture the tube with the duct tape in it, it might with the stock rim strip in there.

UKcr125rider

Apr 28, 2002
Well as far as im aware, the rim tapes to protect the tube from the spoke ends. So i guess anything that was think enough to stop the tube getting nicked would be ok. I always use the proper thing though.

zoommx

~SPONSOR~
Apr 23, 2001
Ive used duct tape, electrical tape, and rubber rim strips.(not at the same time). I had only 1 problem, and it was with the duct tape and that was something I caused. I put it on a little too wide and had a little trouble seating the tire. Duct tape will work fine if it isn't too wide...not to hard to figure out how wide if you think about what you're doing (unlike what I did)!!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom