AjayMike

Mi. Trail Riders
Mar 9, 2003
The rims on one of my Stormers are finally ready for the junk.

I'm going to have Buchanan's rebuild the wheels for me.

I've looked at rims on their website until my eyeballs are ready to fall out.

What rims are you guys-girls running on your vintage iron?

I had kind of settled on Excel dimpled alloy rims but then I noticed they"re not available in 40-hole.

It is not a trailer queen; it is ridden often and raced once in awhile.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Uchytil

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 29, 2003
I'm in the same boat (except for the 40 - I have 36). I've been looking everywhere. My Akronts are toast. I looked at Buchanan's also and got a quote on s/s spokes/nipples. Their prices were about level with all the other places I haunt...Vintage Iron, East Coast Maico, DC plastics, AMS, rage racing - to name a few. Bucannan makes the sun rims and I have one of those that's also toast. You should email them and see if they can get the excels you want. You never know what they can do. I'll probably end up with excels and B's s/s spokes/nipples. I bead blasted the hubs and will probably leave them bare. I'm doing the build which saves about 400 (2 sets).

If you find something better post it!

AjayMike

Mi. Trail Riders
Mar 9, 2003
Uchytil said:
I'll probably end up with excels and B's s/s spokes/nipples.

You think the Excels (not dimpled) look OK on vintage bikes then?

I guess I should pay more attention to such things. If I have seen rims w/o dimples they didn't make an impression on me either way.

Even my 02 XR400 has dimpled rims.

Mike

Uchytil

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 29, 2003
My Akronts are dimpled and do look nice. My Sun rim is not dimpled. I guess it's just a personal choice. If I were going to re-create a museum piece I would go for keeping everything as it was built. Then I would have to find some Metzlers. I could probably have my current Akronts re-anodized to look almost new. New rims - less cost for the runner.

Top Bottom