Blownberm

Nov 17, 2005
I am having a hard time with Suzuki stock piston rings. I have rebuilt this bike 5 times now and have yet to have the same ring end gap. I think stock is like .018-.026 and the rings I have are around .024-.029 and are new. I measure them at the top of cylinder and square them up also. So my question is can I use ane oversized ring and size it down with a file to .018" to keep it on the tight side, will it still be round and fit the cylinder properly. The bore is right on the tight side also, it is just the rings from Suzi I am having the problem with, thanks.

j32

Uhhh...
Jun 8, 2006
Blownberm said:
I am having a hard time with Suzuki stock piston rings. I have rebuilt this bike 5 times now and have yet to have the same ring end gap. I think stock is like .018-.026 and the rings I have are around .024-.029 and are new. I measure them at the top of cylinder and square them up also. So my question is can I use ane oversized ring and size it down with a file to .018" to keep it on the tight side, will it still be round and fit the cylinder properly. The bore is right on the tight side also, it is just the rings from Suzi I am having the problem with, thanks.

how old and worn is the cylinder
what is the piston clearance?,you might need next size piston kit
deglaze the cylinder
to check the ring end gap ,the ring needs to be below the top
of the cylinder ,(about one third down from top)
if the piston clearance is exceeded then it should be replaced
i've rebuilt bikes well beyond those specs and the ran fine
hope this helps :cool:

Blownberm

Nov 17, 2005
The cylinder checks out on the tight side, it is just the variance in rings from Suzuki is the problem. I have three new rings and checked all 3 in the same spot in cylinder and they are .023 .026 and .028. I had one also that was .030, I returned it to the dealer and showed him the cylinder and he could not beleive it. This is why I am asking about sizing down an oversized ring to fit at .018, thanks

chevy383cid

Aug 26, 2005
If the width of the oversize ring is the same as your stock ring then yes you can file it down to get a tighter end gap, make sure to just BARELY round the ring edges(on the outside face) after you file them!! If you have a die grinder (with a thin cutting wheel)you can lock it down in a vise and zip tie the trigger, and use the wheel to file the end gap!! I've done this many times on auto engines and it speeds up the proses!!

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Blownberm said:
can I use ane oversized ring and size it down with a file to .018" to keep it on the tight side

I've done this many times.

Top Bottom