Ring And Oil Ring End Gap Placement

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
I’m in the process of rebuilding my RMZ 450. The parts list includes new piston, cylinder, crank and main bearings. The original engine gave me 120 hours of fun filled moto bliss and one trip to the ER. It’s been a slow process as this is my first 4 stroke motor to rebuild. The bottom end is back together as of tonight and the topend goes on tomorrow night. My owner’s manual leaves a lot to be desired in explaining steps. My question is where do I leave the end gap on the piston for the oil ring, oil ring spacers (lower & upper) and the ring? The manual shows the end gap for the ring on the intake side of the piston, the oil ring end gap on the exhaust side and the two oil ring spacers at 25 degrees from the center line of the exhaust. Does this sound correct? I purchased a JE high compression piston and it doesn’t have directions on how to install the ring and oil ring. I just want to make sure I do this right the first time!

Thanks,

Tim

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
some people say that is 90 degree apart, some say 180...
it´s not that important because the cylinder don´t have any windows and the rings rotate anyway...
do what your service manual shows and you will be ok...

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
Sawblade said:
My owner’s manual leaves a lot to be desired in explaining steps.

They are great for specs, but usually not so good for step-by-step. Supplement it with a Clymer sometime. But if I could only have one manual, I would normally take the manufacturers shop manual. Luckily, I'm not limited to one....

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom