Owens187

Feb 11, 2005
Just wondering how often you guys change your rings/pistons. The book on my bike says something like every other race, but if you dont race, what is the best bet as preventative maintenance?

Thanx in advance!

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
We have a 16 race season, under ideal circumstances we always tried to start the season with a fresh top end then we'd put a new ring after 4 races, new piston after 8 races (1/2 way point) and then repeat for the second half of the schedule. Usually we didn't rebuild at the end of the season, we'd wait until just before the start of the next season to freshen it up again. There was also multiple practice days each week during those intervals.

Most guys I know that don't race do them once a year but we don't have as long a season as you will in CA. Either way you are taking a risk running excessive hours on a 125 piston so you have to judge for yourself how far you want to push that risk for the sake of the budget.

rpm12505

~SPONSOR~
Sep 25, 2005
Chili said:
We have a 16 race season, under ideal circumstances we always tried to start the season with a fresh top end then we'd put a new ring after 4 races,

Do you change gaskets O'rings etc. when changing just the ring?

Owens187

Feb 11, 2005
Sounds good! I guess it would just be a good idea to make it part of the winter maintenence? Any other maintenance hints would also be appreciated, things you should do in the off season? I know to grease the wheel bearings, drain the gas, clean the air filter, and put a teaspoon of oil in the cylinder.....anything else you guys do while the bike is garaged?

Thnx again,

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Drain the coolant and leave the system open so it can dry out. You should be cleaning the air filter more often than every winter. What are you talking about winterizing for when you live in California? There's good riding year round.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
rpm12505 said:
Do you change gaskets O'rings etc. when changing just the ring?

I always change the base gasket anytime the cylinder comes off. I'll usually re-use the O-rings in the head if there does not appear to be any issues with them. At the next rebuild all gaskets and O-rings would get changed.

rpm12505

~SPONSOR~
Sep 25, 2005
Thanks Chili. I value your info. Sorry to hear about your sons defection to 4 stroke. Tell him good luck anyways and don't get rid of the old bike, he may need it later :laugh: A lot of old 2 strokes getting dusted off around here :ride:

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Chili said:
I always store the bike with coolant in it. Why would you want the sytem dried out and exposed to the elements vs sealed?

Draining the coolant prevents forms of galvanic corrosion. It doesn't help that I have a magnesium side cover. Corrosion pits and errosion of the hose nipples is a problem. Magnesium is sacrificial to aluminum. But, with all of the steel in the bike you can still set up a situation for galvanic corrosion with an aluminum cover.

Top Bottom