srhill

~SPONSOR~
Sep 20, 2002
Dirtymonkey:
I would suggest to you to go ahead and lift the head and inspect the piston. check to see if you still have the OEM piston. Being an 01 I bet it does and it needs to be replaced with a Wiseco. The 220 OEM pistons have a history of failing and causing alot of heartache and missery.

Go to the top and click on the search function and perform a search on pistons or grenade. Thats right the 220 OEM piston is commonly refered to as a grenade.

The OEM piston will have an alpha designation (A,B,C or D) stamped on top of it that will correspond to the alpha designation stamped to the top of the cylinder.

Good luck.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Yes, there is a way to tell if they need to be replaced.

It's easy. Just do the following....

Replace them.

That's cuz you don't want to put your OLD rings on your NEW piston. Besides, the piston kit COMES with rings anyway....so you might as well use them. ;)

Or...as srhill sez.

Dragonfly

May 8, 2002
DirtyMonkey, I just bought a 2001 KDX 220 3 weeks ago. And the first thing I ordered was a Wiseco piston kit. Replaced it before I ever rode it. Its well worth the 85 bucks to have peace of mind. And its satisfying to know you've done proper mantiance on your bike. It's a fairly easy job when you have the manual too.

Top Bottom