patcrosbie

May 7, 2002
I'm going to start racing motocross and I currently have a 2002 DR-Z 400E and I'm thinking my best bet is riding in the 250C class locally. I'm 5'11'' and about 250lbs. Will the '03 or maybe '04 Suzuki RM 250 be okay for me? Thanks guys.

dobent56

Jul 26, 2003
They're great bikes.I love my 03.Make SURE you use part of your 500.00 in free accesories(for buying an 03RM) to buy springs for your weight.Race Tech and Factory Connection ,MXtech will all tell you which ones to buy.You've got to do this to set your sag right.Worry about a revalve later,the springs will do the job for you for now.
Suzuki also has a free 2 day TonyD MX school if you buy an 03rm,I'm not sure about the 04.Go to the school,you'll learn a lot. Doug

d.u.g.

May 23, 2003
Yes.If you call MXTech or Factory Connection they'll tell you what springs you eed.You tell them your weight,type of terrain,and that you're a novice.Race Tech has a web site that will tell you.It'll be close to 200.00.
While a novice a re-valve to suit your weight would be a waste of money,You can do that later.Stock,with stiffer springs you;ll have great suspension .How much the bike sags when you 're sitting on it is critical for the bike to handle right.You want it to sag about 100mm,and with stock springs you'll be way over that.
I'd spend the rest of the free accesories 500.00 on high grade handlebars,o-ring chain and quality rear sprocket. Most jap motocrossers come with junk as these items are concerned. Doug

d.u.g.

May 23, 2003
They're both good.The Twinwalls are a little cheaper to get into because you can use all the stock mounting stuff.The stock ones will bend easily the first time you fall over.I have used the 909 bars for awhile,the standard diameter ones ,and they've held up great. Doug

patcrosbie

May 7, 2002
Yea on my drz the first time i dumped the thing the bars made an L and I didnt fall hard or anything. I've got Renthal 7/8s on it now. They do fine.

Asrith

Jul 18, 2001
I have had a few bike, I love my 02 RM 250, handles like a dream compared to my old 97 CR, and feels real slim. I have everything done to it, even boosted compresion. By far a great bike. My first experience with an RM has been good, that is why I am posting my opinion. I also have and like the sobe graphics kit. Good luck, I use mine for trail riding and minor moto'ing.

patcrosbie

May 7, 2002
Ha ha thanks Asrith, I like the Team Suzuki amatuer graphics too. Sounds like the RM is a great bike. There's a dealer near by that's havin a blowout because of the economy and the weather here. It's been raining like everyday and all the streets were flooded here. Thanks again.

Top Bottom