rmrider45

Sep 8, 2008
arghhhh. other day my son had trouble starting his rm 85 . i pulled the plug out and seen there was antifrezze on it. changed the 2 o-ring head gaskets(also put some gasket maker on also)and put a new plug in started fine a week or so went buy and i thought i would try to start the bike.. and it wont fire .? if there are new head gaskets (o- ring ) put on how can the water be entering the cylinder?thx again :bang: :bang: :bang:(also changed the ring week prior to this and the piston had white looking milky water on it. changed the oil and there was no water in the oil)

rmrider45

Sep 8, 2008
i looked at the cylinder it dont look
cracked inside(it was bored and sleeved and replated about a year ago ).how can i tell if the head is warped?

Last edited:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
O-rings are ment to seal on their own, never use "gasket maker" unless it is called for in the serice manual (which I seriously doubt is the case) because it often makes a bigger mess than actually helping.

Check for warped part by removing them and placing them on a perfectly flat surface and using a feeler gage around the edge to determine if there is an excessive gap. You could alsou use a good quality builders straight edge and a little time moving it around to see if there are any gaps.

Have you checked the water pump seals?

Mar 18, 2006
A good perfecly flat surface is a piece of heavy (ish) plate glass. Everyone needs one of those in the shop. A piece of plate steel also can work, and probably some other things. I like my piece of glass.

Top Bottom