RM250K5 rear spring rate, need help please.

Danger

Jan 15, 2004
Do any of the suspension guys here know what rate spring is on my RM250? It has a pink spot of paint on the bottom. This RM250 was setup by a suspension shop for a previous owner and I want to confirm what rate spring I have. Stock is 5.3 but my manual does not list the color codes.

Thanks

Greg

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
well, if you were smart, you could measure the free and race sag on both the custom and stock spring and figure if the custom one is stiffer or softer than the stock one, right? ;)

Danger

Jan 15, 2004
If I had the stock spring yes. I might even have the stock spring still on the bike. I don't know. This is what I'm trying to find out. The manual does not list the colour codes. I was told the bike had been resprung for the original owner and it was sprung for a 60-70kg rider and MX. This suited the rider I bought the bike of (not the original owner) but I am closer to 80kg and will be using the bike for offroad. The rate maybe fine for me, I don't know on account that I'm out with a busted hand.
The springs are marked with different colour paint dots on the bottom. Mine is pink. I don't have the code to tell me what rate this spring is. A suspension tech may know. Are there any that frequent this site? The tech at the local Suzuki shop was not in when I called in today. It seemed like this would be a good place to have my simple question answered. I wish it was a KTM related question. I would have had an answer inside a half hour on KTMtalk.com.
Thanks for your help.

KX02

Jan 19, 2004
Sorry no one's been able to help you. It's pretty late in the states right now. Maybe in the morning someone who know's suspension can help.

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
I think you're being a little anal on this mystery spring rate. Ive tested many springs on a digital tester. Most springs are not even close to their supposed rate by either colored markings or notch codes. :|

Anyway try this, set your sag to 100mm and then let the free sag measurement be your guide if the spring is correct or not.

If you're inside the 20-30mm free sag range then all is good.

Last edited:

Danger

Jan 15, 2004
Thanks but your missing the point. I need to know what spring rate I have so that if and when I need to change that rate I don't end up just ordering the same spring. Make sense?
I have set the race sag and now I know what the free sag is meant to be I will check that, so at least you have been of some help, thanks. Thats a starting point, but like you have found with your digital measurements numbers are just numbers, its the ride that counts. I do not have a digital spring tester. I do not want to order a spring that is the wrong rate for me. Hence I need my starting rate. Is that so hard to understand? I do not know what spring rate I currently have. I'm trying to find out. :bang: Too bad if you think thats anal.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
call c&c motorsports ........ask for dan .............if dan is busy or not there then wait or call back for dan .................when you speak to him he will tell you what to look for and will help you

use your cellphone so long distance is free

810-227-7068

or get the manual

or call local shop

or call local suspension tuners

etc

etc

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
what people are trying to say is, if your numbers are good for static and race sag, you dont have to worry the rate as you have a spring thats suitable.

Danger

Jan 15, 2004
Thanks guys for your help. Activeride just replied on KTMtalk.com that its a 4.8! Thats their lightest spring. Now I can move on from here.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom