Josh (TX)

May 24, 2003
I just picked up a bike from a friend and I think it's a 1980 RM50.
He says it occasionally starts and wanted to get it running for his son.
I pulled the carb and cleaned it, checked for spark and I got it, but I couldn't get it to run. I pulled the exhaust off and sludge just poured out. I then stuck my finger in the cylinder and it is filled with gunk.
I'm getting ready to pull the top end off, but I need some advice first. I've never torn down a 2-stroke before. Is there anything special I should know? I don't have a manual but think it should be fairly straight forward with this simple engine. Can I still get new gaskets for this old of a bike?

Thanks,
Josh

mxrider2002

Jan 2, 2003
if it is liquid cooled make sure you drain the radiator. take your time too, especially when you put it back together. im 14 and i took apart my yz without a manuel (it still runs today), so i dont think you should have any trouble

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
not LC, should be a pretty easy fix. As to gaskets, check with the local Suzuki dealer.

Tell junior to watch out, though, those little buggers are screamers.

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
clogged exhaust ports could easily make it hard to start. You could just try and clean them out and start it before taking the topend apart. go to eric gorrs website and read his section on two stroke topend. it will give you all the info you need.

Josh (TX)

May 24, 2003
Thanks guys, I appreciate the info.
I've been riding street for 10+ years, but I'm new to the dirt thing. I just bought a RM250 so I'm sure I'll have many more questions.
Thanks again,

Josh

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom