Micahdawg

Feb 2, 2001
I've currently got a 1997 RM 250 that I've owned for the past 3 years. It's about the newest bike I've ever owned (and 3 years ago it was only 4 years old). But now, it's getting some age and I'm thinking about posting it for sale this year.

I love this RM, and it looks like they have only gotten better. So I totally want a newer RM and a newer RM ONLY. It's got to be a RM250.

I refuse to buy new, so a 2004 is out of the question, but I am seeing some great deals on 2003's. And they appear to be good bikes. Found one 2003 for $3250 locally and it's really got me thinking.

My question though, I am considering any RM that is newer than mine....say 2000+. So what is the "preferred" year RM to buy from 2000+. Seems like I heard about clutch problems and power valve linkage problems just a couple years back.

Can someone tell me the years to stay away from. Thanks.

Micah

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
i think they used a new frame and pastics etc on the 2001 and newer (definately on the 125) so its always good to get the new design, if nothing other than resale.

dont rule out new, you can get new RMs very cheap towards the end of the season since they dont sell as strond as other brands, you might not pay much more than $3250 for a new 04, and the 04s are really really good

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
The '01 was a decent bike but it needs some sorting out to be a absolute excellent bike. Some of the problems where some of the early released models had cylinder porting casting flaws. The subframes had some casting edges that needed to be ground down and the forks weren't the best setup. Just all minor things really, the '02 is alittle more desirable cause it got a new swingarm/excell rims/ better porting and was just alittle more refined. This basically has continued through to '04.

los36

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
They did a total redesign in '01 and missed the mark a little. The motor left something to be desired and the suspension was off the mark. Both problems were fixable, though.
In '02, the swingarm mount was moved a few mm's on the frame and the suspension settings were refined. A big improvement. The forks tend to bottom, but the shock is decent. The power is fairly broad and strong. I have had my '02 since Oct. 01 and have not had to spend any money on abnormal repairs. The newer Suzuki's are built much better than they were in the early - mid ninetys.
The 03 and 04 have continued to improve on the design introduce in 01. I hear that the 04 is awesome.
FYI - the PV linkage problems that you've heard about were related to the RM 125 in 01 or 02.
If you're not going to buy new, I'd strongly recommend the 02 or 03. The 01 is OK, but the newer bikes are setup a bit better out-of-the-box.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
It seems each year the rm got closer to the mark-go for the newest you can afford.The 04 is a true winner in a year where the 2 stroke isnt a player.

j_freak

Feb 7, 2004
_j0kA_ said:
do not buy an 01 or 02 RM... i suggest going with an 04RM250, but if not go with the 03RM250.. they are absolutely amazing and the 04 is just that much better then the 03!

i took pictures of mine yesterday, check them out here

Is it just me, or are the chains on both of those bikes super loose?

los36

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
The RM's rear suspension requires there to be quite a bit of slack in the chains. As the suspension compresses, it takes up alot of slack.
The bikes in the pictures look OK to me, as an RM owner.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
I have the 01 and the problem I have is with the powervalve and the kickstarter. The powervalve was poorly designed and seemed to have problems sticking in the port. The kickstarter is designed wrong because there is a problem with it hitting the peg and cracking. Other than that, it's a good bike, better than the 00 for sure. The 02 is a year to skip from what I've heard, supposed to be a lack of power thing I think. But the 03 is definately a keeper as well as the 04.

D36 RMrider

Feb 24, 2004
marcusgunby said:
It seems each year the rm got closer to the mark-go for the newest you can afford.The 04 is a true winner in a year where the 2 stroke isnt a player.
What do you mean the 2 stroke isn't a player my 03 rm250 pulls crf450's by a bike legnth and handles way better than any thing out there :aj:

j_freak

Feb 7, 2004
_j0kA_ said:
thats how ive always had my chains, seems to work great..?

Hmm, didn't know new bikes were supposed to have that loose of a chain. The manuals for both of my bikes (a 1975 and a 1974) say to adjust the chain so there is only one inch of up and down play (though I can't remember if that's 1" both ways, or 1" total)

On my MR175 I was riding out in our pasture and had forgotten to adjust the chain tension. I was coming out of a wide, high-banked turn, and the chain popped off the back sprocket. Fell in between the sprocket and the swingarm and caught on the sprocket bolts, jamming the rear wheel. That's one of the 3 times I have crashed/laid the bike over. I was fine, but the chain took a big chunk out of one of the shocks (evil dual shocks) :mad: Luckily it didn't scrape all the way through the shock body. Non leaking stock (non rebuildable) shocks are 80 bucks on ebay, my bike has aftermarket rebuildable Showas on it, (which I hate because the springs are too hard for skinny me) which you cannot find parts for anywhere.

Anyways, the moral of the story is I sure hope your RM has guides keeping that chain in place :laugh:

_j0kA_

Jan 29, 2002
yeah it does.. nice moral lol

ive been racing my 01RM125 for over 2 years and not a prob yet.. i generally do the 3 finger rule behind the chain guard

muddy226

Sponsoring Member
Sep 14, 2003
I've got a 2000 RM and I really like it, although it has had a lot of problems, and took a long time to get right. The intake side bridges are a poor design and have a tendency to cause intake side seizure, and I've just had to put several new gears in because they were worn out. I reckon the best thing is to buy the newest you can afford, if mine hadn't been so expensive recently I might have been able to afford an '04, but I think I'll just have to wait now and see whether there is unsold stock of '04 in a few months which I might be able to afford.

jOKA's chains look spot on to me, my manual says 45-55 mm slack in mid-run, cooool tyres.

RM250'er

~SPONSOR~
May 25, 2001
In 2002, I went from my 97 to an 03... I absolutely love it!! Nothing is stock any longer but when it was, it was still a great bike... (RG3 Suspension/Varner motor RG3 Triple clamp/909 bars/excel rims/v-force/14-52 gearing/7.0mm carb slide/power now/FMF SST...

Took me a couple of months to get faster on the 03 than I was on the 97... the 97 just fit like a glove... now the 03 finally does.

Erick82

~SPONSOR~
Aug 30, 2002
My 02 RM 250 rips, lots of power. Handles great and haven't had any major problems yet. I ride every week when nice and do the normal maintenance. I bought it used and got a good deal. I also refuse to buy new, one year old is the way to go.

zook125

Apr 17, 2003
i have never had a problem with my 01, it doesnt have as much top end as others but with an sst set up it is definetly has better chacteristics than stock. anyone have a mo power port job on thier 01'S by eric?

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
I had a '95 and a '96 RM250, both had great forks, tough to beat the conventionals on small bumps! In '97, power output went down for some reason, so you should be happy with any of the newer models motor wise compared to the '97.

On a test ride the '01 felt good to me, and I liked the motor, but something about the clutch and kickstarter, I tended to kill it more and then it wouldn't want to start in gear :ugg:

Micahdawg

Feb 2, 2001
Even if the 96 had more power, I do know that it had a more problematic power valve (seems like a 2 piece valve that could get carboned and stick easily). My 97 has the 3 piece valve which seems to be a large part of the design change from 96 to 97.

The power of this bike rips though. So if it's the slowest, then I really have something to look forward to. Against my buddies modded 99 RM250 mine has WAY more low end and a bit less top end, but they are pretty close.

I just got all my parts back and the bike is together and running. So now is the time where I snap some pictures and ask $2000 for it. Anyone interested?

Micah

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
yes, I had a big problem with the '96 powervalve. Cleaning the powervalve itself was no help in my case. Replacing the bearings for the side (sub?) valves was the hot ticket. My theory was that the carbon deposits inside the bearing itself took away the clearance between the bearings/races, and when the engine warmed up there was binding. This sounds like a stretch, but I eliminated just about every other possible cause.

Top Bottom