StarlinXXX

Dec 17, 2013
Greetings and thanks for any help.

So I have a 1992 Suzuki RMX 250 that I bought in about as many pieces as can be. I cleaned everything up, bought new piston, rings, bearing, gaskets, clutch, reeds, oil seals and anything that looked even a little worn out.

I got it all put back together and started to the break-in process and after my fourth run (first run getting near the power band) it locked itself in first gear. Pulling in the clutch didn't make any difference, the bike just died. With the bike not running I was able to rock it back and forth and get it out of first and started it back up. Would not go into first gear at all! So I took off in second and it went up through all the other gears just fine but still would lock if I put it back in first.

So I pulled the clutch cover and side plate off and noticed the the clutch basket (with the clutch still installed) could be moved jut by pushing on it with my finger. This doesn't seam right to me. So I pulled the clutch (which was still fine) and found that when the basked is on the sleeve and bearing it can be moved at will.

So my questions are (if you made it this far, thank you):
1. Should the clutch basket have any wobble at all?
2. If not should I start by replacing the sleeve and bearing (I didn't replace them during the rebuild)?
3. Would this issue cause the locking in first gear? (with the side cover and clutch assembly off it easily shifted into first and everything spun just fine)

Thank you,
Starlin

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Since you say it's only happening in first gear, I'd suspect that it's not the clutch that you're having issues with, but the trans.. Sounds like it's time to take it apart to see what's broken.

Likely you have a broken gear dog or a worn out thrust washer that's causing a misalignment in the gears. Either way, anyone here is just taking a wild guess until you open it up and have a look.

arnego2

Mar 8, 2008
The clutch should not wobble but there is a minor play. What do you mean with moving the clutch with your fingers? Can you turn the clutch over with your fingers?

With the engine locking itself in 1rst gear that seems more tranny related to me too.

StarlinXXX

Dec 17, 2013
Thanks for the quick replies. I very well may pull the trans back apart this weekend. When I put it together all the washers and bearings were new and everything met the specs listed in my repair book.

arnego2 said:
The clutch should not wobble but there is a minor play. What do you mean with moving the clutch with your fingers? Can you turn the clutch over with your fingers?

It isn't that I can turn the the clutch with my finger. Kind of hard to explain, kind of like if you loosen the lug nuts on a car you can wiggle the wheel because nothing is holding it against the hub. Same thing here I if I push on any of the clutch tangs I can make the basket wobble (top to bottom or side to side).

Thanks again!

arnego2

Mar 8, 2008
That is not normal. I'd take of the basket and have a look if the bushing is in place or still OK. sounds like a few needles broke on your clutch needle bearing

Dylan501

Jan 15, 2014
If its rough pulling off from neutral to first my bike does that too its the clutch plates catching on each other its been like that for a while but I'm waiting till they are bad because its only on one gear.

arnego2

Mar 8, 2008
Not sure if that is wise a clutch should not act just in first gear. I waited too long on something and had to change 4 gears in my tranny. Beware!

Top Bottom