monte

Jun 16, 2004
Hey guys

my 98 rmx fuel tap still dribbles petrol out when it is in the off position.
anyone know how to resolve this as a new one costs **** loads!

cheers

apb

Feb 1, 2005
Is the fuel going through the petcock to the carb, or leaking from the gasket where it mounts to the tank? You can remove it from the tank (1st drain the tank and remove tank from bike!), and check the condition of the gasket if that's leaking. May have dirt preventing a proper seal. You can try cleaning the gasket, or buy/make a new gasket if this is the problem. If the fuel is going through the petcock, its a tougher fix.. If you don't want to buy a new petcock, one solution (not the cleanest option) I'm aware of is getting an inline plastic fuel valve like used on briggs and stratton lawnmowers, and install that between the petcock and the carb. There's a guy on that online auction site that sells them for cheap (I think less than $2)(or your local lawnmower shop should also carry them). Adds some clutter, but addresses the problem, at least until you are ready to shell out for a replacement unit. The petcock on my '90 RMX can't be dissassembled for servicing to replace inner o-rings or whatnot; I'm not sure if your later-model bike is the same in that respect.

monte

Jun 16, 2004
yeah it is not leaking from the tank but just not turning off when it should
so yeah another valve between the carb and tap will fix this. good thinking!

thanks very much !!!

Higgsy

Mar 23, 2005
My RMX does the same thing. I've disassembled the petcock valve and tried cleaning the o-rings up but it only fixed it for a short time, it soon started leaking a few weeks later. I am going to replace the o-rings and see how that works. I'll let you know if it solves the problem or not.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom