Rod play?

pre-game

Jun 17, 2008
hey all im kinda new here, i am in the process of rebuilding my 99 cr 250, ive helped build bikes with my dad when i was way younger, but now i am attempting this on my own, my question is... should the conn-rod be able to have side to side slack? i can wiggle the rod slightly, i really dont want to attempt to crack the case myself, and i really dont want to drop the money to have someone else split them, but i was wondering is this normal, or a big deal that i should address or am i just freaking out over something that is doing what it is supposed to be doing,.??? thanks guys :bang:

colbyc28

Dec 1, 2006
I'm sure some of the vet's will chime in... but my understanding is that you want no "axial" play....meaning up and down.

pre-game

Jun 17, 2008
i will have to check again when i get home from work, but i think im good on the up and down movement, it just seemed loose side to side, i dont know if this would cause premature piston wear, or anything like that.. i would just rather be safe, and not kicking myself after i throw it all back together. but at the same time, a new rod assembly and paying for someone to install it is a big chunk of change for an older bike like mine... thanks guys :bang:

RM85rider123

Oct 28, 2007
there should be side to side play, but never up and down play. If there is, you are going to have to re-do the crankshaft bearings.

pre-game

Jun 17, 2008
ok thats just what i needed to hear before i go out and spend lots of money on somehting that is still in good condition, thanks guys for your help..

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
There is a measurement for clearance between the thrust washers and rod big end, and how much the small end rocks. Up and down, none.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…