rollingp

Oct 31, 2001
Yesterday we rode here at my track
Scott Miller from Service Honda brought out his super trick 02 CR450.
Titanium bolts, Talon hubs, gold rims, Buchanan spokes, Triple clamps, pipe, BBR brake pedal, race tech suspension, Wrapped header, and more. The thing was polished and was just a work of art. I almost thought it was too nice to ride but I could not pass up the offer.
In no way was this bike stock except fro the motor.
I really liked this bike. The motor revved faster than my 02 520
but it hooked up nice. It wasnt as powerfull overall as the 520 but the power was very effective and really I thought it didnt give up anything to my 520. For allot of riders I can see this motor would work better than a 520 because the front end stays down where the 520 wheelies.
He was running the stock offset clamps and the bike turned just like what I was used to. It was stable at speed and turned good.
We practiced starts and the 450 was right with me and he even pulled away a couple of times.
I could get off my 520 and ride this bike as if it were mine.
The thing felt like my KTM in every way except it was fatter
but that wasnt a bad thing at all.
The shock was just like the 520 across the bumps and so were the forks. I actually think the forks were a little plusher toward full compression.
I want to ride a stock CR 450 and soon I will .
If it handles even close to the way this bike did I will be impressed.
This bike was by far the best Honda I ever threw a leg over.
Without a doubt I would own one of these bikes and Honda has done a good job here. I suspect the proper suspension set up is really all a CR 450 would need.
Again it was set up and handled so close to my 520 it was freaky.
Another KTM rider agreed after riding this bike.
Thanks Scott for the chance to ride this bike of yours.
It was pleasure I am just glad I kept on two wheels.
:cool:

TexKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 1999
Careful rollingp, you're on sacred ORANGE ground over here....:confused:

Thanks for the ride report. Those Hondas do look trick, and most everyone I've talked to that has ridden one or owns one agree with your observations. One guy I know had a deposit on one and passed after he rode a bud's, but he also has the 250F and is really happy with it. He's a 160 pound vet MX rider and can see why he might feel that way. It is amazing how the YZ250F seems to be making its way into the vet ranks. Another 40+ friend up in IN is in love with his too. That is saying alot since he owns over 40 bikes... it even inspired him to get back into modern MX since he had given it up in favor of Vintage MX racing.

Personally I'll be the first guy with a deposit on a CR250F. The 300 is gonna go eventually. Why not the YZ250F? Simple - I want the bike to START... ;)

Honda has definately raised the bar in that regard. Cross your fingers - I'm choosing to believe the rumor mill that says the CR250F will be here by September 2002.

Smitty

Alowishus Devadander
Nov 10, 1999
RollingP,

Cool to hear an honest report from a RFS guy on the 450. I'm happy with mine. I had tired of reading posts from fourstroke guys (all brands) tearing down the other models on word of mouth testing. Its funny how some people see different performance, different styles, and different problems as proof that one bike is better than another for all situations and riders.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
rollinggp when i read the title of the the tread i was expecting a scathing review of the honda,i was pleasantly surprised and impressed of your review-keep up the good work.I too rode a 450 and it was a very good bike.We are very lucky really as all the major brands make such good machines that not one would hold back the average rider.:cool:

rollingp

Oct 31, 2001
I have to disagree a little.
There is no way a YZ426 even comes close to being the bike the CR450
is . Magazine article or not. We get to ride every bike made each year on many different days and it will take allot of effort for Yam to get anywhere near what Honda has here.
Yea, guys sure ride the Yams good but I cant help but think they would be
even better on the Honda or the Ktm.
I also rode a brand new alum frame Cr500.
can you say vibrate? Not just a little it was allot. This is the worst bike I ever rode as far as vibration goes.I cant understand how anyone can own one without balancing the crank. I have rode the steel framed Cr500 many times over the years and yes they vibrate but no where near as bad as the alum framed 500.
If that were mine it would get a balanced crank for sure.
It vibrated from the bars , seat , pegs,everywhere. They sure are sharp looking though. Im sure a balanced crank would solve the problem but I feel it is absolutely needed.

Last edited:

rollingp

Oct 31, 2001
I feel the CR is so much like the KTM its crazy.
I see no reason why it wouldnt work well in the woods with the suspension set up soft. I feel this bike could do it all.
Hey I am a die hard KTM man but let me put it this way.
If I never had a KTM and never rode one of there 4 strokes after riding the CR I would buy one without hesitation.
I still prefer the KTM because they are so easy to maintain and I dont have to spend much money on them.
I also prefer the no link. Again less maint.
But I really had a good time riding the CR and I rode that bike just as hard as my 520 and for many laps.
Its a great machine . For me its KTM first and the Honda slightly second.

Last edited:

sharp

Sep 30, 2001
I hate it when this happens. Thanks for the reply. Last month when I was having my suspension revalved the buddy of the guy doing the job drives up pulling a brand new CR 450. Man did that bike look sweet. It also looked compact like my GG. If the guy offered me a ride I think I would have fallen over ( I was just shelling out big bucks for the re-valve to included new springs). I used to be a die hard 4-stroke Honda fan. You know the SL, XL and XR back in "the day." This bike was like one of those geeky looking girls in high school that turned out to be better than a fine wine.

So you go an post this awsome ride on this awsome bike (and I am a former ktm owner and thinking of getting a new 300) causing me to break out in hives and a cold sweat.

Next Honda will offer some kind of big discount incentive to further fuel the flames. I think it a conspiracy and Honda's extreme prejudice agaisnt the pumpkin:ugg:

Glad you had fun:cool:

sharp

Sep 30, 2001
Oh I forgot to say the fit and finish on the bike was absolutey perfect. I have never seen welds and fasteners look so pretty except on fighter aircraft. But one thing I do say, "what the heck was that thing they call a rear brake?":debil:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by rollingp
I also rode a brand new alum frame Cr500.
<snip> This is the worst bike I ever rode .

Maybe you should get out more:silly:

rollingp

Oct 31, 2001
Maybe I should get out more?
Dude I get to ride bikes of all brands before most of the people I know.
Having a good mx track brings them out.
Think what you will.
The small group of x pro riders and good A mx riders here probably get more seat time on various bikes than most of the so called mx magazines.
I practice up to 4 times a week and have anywhere fro 3 to 35 riders per day at my track. Any of the regular guys riding here will be your best source of information on any bike you want to ride. We eventually ride every brand and every size. You name it we probably have rode the crap out of it.
I love KTM motorcycles and I am usually very bias toward them because since 1976 I have raced just about every brand available.
This CR450 is a very good racing four stroke.
This is HONDA,s first year with a true mx thumper.
Honda always tries to build the best bike they can wheather its street or otherwise.
KTM and HONDA have the best big bore four stroke mx bikes on the market at least for now.
Hands down.

Oh yea ,The 450 starts as easy as a KTM

Last edited:

rollingp

Oct 31, 2001
Originally posted by sharp
Oh I forgot to say the fit and finish on the bike was absolutey perfect. I have never seen welds and fasteners look so pretty except on fighter aircraft. But one thing I do say, "what the heck was that thing they call a rear brake?":debil:

Actually the rearbrake on the CR450 worked just fine.
I was expecting it to be as bad as the magazine tests say but it didnt give me a problem.
Maybe because the temp was cool .???

Top Bottom