XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
From RacerX online:

About the MX des Nations,

I do not visit motocross chat rooms, nor do I follow or perpetuate the rumors they seem to generate. Having said that, during the last few days several friends of mine have told me that I have been getting hammered on a few MX websites about the 2004 U.S. Motocross des Nations effort. From what I am told, I am taking a lot of blame for the top American riders not going.

So, to state my case, and tell my side of the story, I would like to make the following points to motocross fans around the world.

-I do not think I have to do anything to prove that I love and support the Motocross des Nations. I have participated in more MXdN and Trophee des Nations events than any other rider in history. Moreover, except for three times, I have managed the U.S. MXdN Team since the first U.S. des Nations victory at Lommel, Belgium, in 1981. That's over 20 years of involvement with Team USA. And for the record, I have always done it for free. In fact, oftentimes, I even spent some of my own money.

-I grew up believing the Motocross and Trophee des Nations were the most important events of the year. Since 1947, it was the race where the world's best riders (and riders from all classes) came together to battle it out for global pride. The MXdN was prestige at its very best and every rider wanted to be part of it. Recently, however, the MXDN has suffered from a combination of things. Many of them are out of our control. Rules have been changed back and forth. The MXdN schedule does not take the U.S. racing schedule into account. There have been a number of poor promoter choices, as well (remember the ill-fated U.S. round in 2002?).

-Today, the Motocross des Nations situation is far different from what it used to be. Instead of the MXdN running directly after the Nationals (in mid-September), it now takes place in October. Meanwhile, the U.S. schedule is getting busier and busier. The 2004 U.S. Open is on October 8 and 9. With more races, and the sport growing bigger and bigger, rider salaries are also growing. With all this comes added pressure for the riders and teams to perform. This means significantly more testing. And let's not forget the two World Supercross GP rounds that will begin during first weekend of December.

-The priorities of today's riders have changed. They are much younger than me and do not know of the glamour and prestige that made the MXdN the greatest single-day motocross race in the world. Because of this (and the reasons above), I am sad to admit that the MXdN is not quite as big and important to today's generation of riders. This is not their fault. It is only the reality of the situation.

-In regard to America's top three riders in 2004, Ricky Carmichael wants to focus on testing and getting used to his new team (Suzuki). James Stewart chose to sit out the 2004 MXdN because he wants to concentrate on his move to the 250 class. Kevin Windham also wants to concentrate on testing for the 2005 supercross season. RC has supported the MXdN in the past - he won individually last year - and he probably would have gone this year had our best riders gone, allowing Team USA a great chance to win the overall event. So who is to blame for the aforementioned reasons? Nobody, really. Yes, Travis Pastrana and other riders wanted to go, but I was not involved in that part of the decision-making process.

-I must admit that I was disappointed when I saw that things were falling apart for the MXdN this year. I hope we will be back at the des Nations next year with our best talent. However, we need to take into account that there is going to be an amazing amount of pressure on RC and Bubba for next season. For that reason, we should understand how serious each needs to be about their future battles. Each one of them does not want to be less prepared than the other. We should all appreciate that fact.

-As a competitor, I would have gone to the Motocross des Nations in 2004, but I am from another generation. Yes, my career wining percentage was certainly not as good as RC's or Bubba's, but then again, I did get 16 wins at Motocross and Trophee des Nations events. So let's hope that we can get a better schedule for 2005 and that our top riders will be ready, willing and able to go - just like we used to be in the "old days." If they are, and as I have in the past, I will certainly be there to support them and the American team.

Yours in sport,
Roger DeCoster

Looks like a no go. :|

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Would not racing at the mxdn help riders be race ready??sorry i dont see why bubba couldnt go-would he forget how to ride a 125 after a few weeks on a 250? its plain to see RC wont go due to bubba and KW-i dont blame him for that to be honest-i blame kw and bubba for the non attendance-the world wants to see them more than they want to show the world i guess :bang:

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
poor excuse if you ask me :(

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Here is an AMA press release from a few weeks ago:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

AMA Pro Racing Continues to Explore MOTOCROSS OF NATIONS Effort

PICKERINGTON, Ohio (Aug. 4, 2004) -- AMA Pro Racing announced today that it continues to explore whether or not it will send a team to the 2004 Motocross of Nations (MXoN). While making the announcement AMA Pro Racing Supercross/Motocross Series Manager Steve Whitelock said the team-selection process took an unexpected turn last week which necessitated a review of the situation. “We’ve been considering the possibility of sending a team for weeks now,” said Whitelock. “We’ve had conversations with all the top riders, team managers and manufacturers. We had reached a point where we had a team in place, and in fact were preparing the announcement, then suddenly the team we had assembled dissolved.”
The Motocross of Nations is comprised of three-man teams from around the world. Generally, current top-ranked riders are invited to race on behalf of their countries. Some top Americans who were considered to be logical picks to represent the United States said they wouldn’t participate in the event. This year’s MXoN is scheduled to be held in Lierop, Netherlands on Oct. 1-3.

“Even though some riders had declined, we had commitments in place and had organized a strong team. Unfortunately the landscape changed and we are back to square one,” said Whitelock.

Whitelock acknowledged the riders who have come forward volunteering to race at the MXoN. “A few riders have publicly stated their willingness to ride and we think that’s admirable,” stated Whitelock. “Unfortunately, the situation is not that simple. Along with the willingness of the riders, we must have a strong commitment from the manufacturers who sponsor them to prep and maintain equipment. That part of the equation is also in question right now. And, it’s not even about being guaranteed a win, it’s about ensuring the American team has, at the very least, a reasonable chance of success. Considering where the situation lies right now, that ‘reasonable chance’ is in doubt. We must have assurance that each rider will have access to the best possible equipment. To go up against the world’s top riders on anything less is not an option.”

Whitelock also recognized the fans who have contacted AMA Pro Racing urging that a team be organized. “We have received plenty of e-mails and letters from passionate fans who want to see an American team under any circumstances,” continued Whitelock. “We empathize with that passion but it’s our responsibility to make the decision that’s in the best interest of our riders. Bowing to public pressure and throwing together an under-supported team is not in the best interests of anyone, particularly the sport of motocross in the United States.”

Whitelock stated that the situation could go either way at this point. “Frankly speaking, we need to acknowledge the possibility that we won’t be going in 2004,” said Whitelock. “However, we’re going to continue working on it until all reasonable possibilities have been exhausted. If we can create a scenario that makes sense we’ll go. Otherwise, we’ll turn our attention to 2005.”

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Below are the quotes from Steve at the AMA that bother me the most:

" Along with the willingness of the riders, we must have a strong commitment from the manufacturers who sponsor them to prep and maintain equipment. That part of the equation is also in question right now. And, it’s not even about being guaranteed a win, it’s about ensuring the American team has, at the very least, a reasonable chance of success. Considering where the situation lies right now, that ‘reasonable chance’ is in doubt. We must have assurance that each rider will have access to the best possible equipment. To go up against the world’s top riders on anything less is not an option.”

“We empathize with that passion but it’s our responsibility to make the decision that’s in the best interest of our riders. Bowing to public pressure and throwing together an under-supported team is not in the best interests of anyone, particularly the sport of motocross in the United States.”

I don't understand why it is 'not an option' that we go if there is no 'reasonable chance' we could win. Shoot, 75% of the teams on the line will not have a 'reasonable chance', yet they can be bothered to show up. For that matter, at any race, only ONE RIDER can have the 'best possible equipment'.

Does the AMA really feel that the only riders who should show up are are those that have a resonsalbe chance to win and have the best possible equipment? Does this 'standard' apply to AMA races also, or only to the MXdN?

Also, he acts like sending a team because the public really, really, really wants us to is somehow a sign of weakness and against the 'best interest' of the riders and US Motocross. Say WHAT??? That is RIDICULOUS.

FWIW, I don't blame Carmichael or DeCoster for this fiasco at all, but there is PLENTY of blame to go around between the AMA, the factory teams, and the riders. Regardless of the poor scheduling by the FIM, we need to send a team. I don't give a rat's ass if they are on the best equipment or they don't have a chance to win. Get the best riders you can find and borrow 3 year old bikes in Europe if you have to. Just field a team!

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
The bottom line for RC is that if Bubba and K-Dub or another suitable rider were going he'd be there. After all the RC vs Everts talk last year and then listening to Everts after he get's his spanking say "I was racing for the team" there was no way RC was going unless The US team was strong enough for Everts to have to ride without a built in crutch for the whippin that would come his way.

2smoke

Sep 21, 2001
Funny Chili I read that but I also read where he admits RC was simply too for him that day and to try and go with him was not possible. After he found that out and where the other two US riders were positioned he took the "condom" safety option. But he admitted who was faster.....he also mentioned he gets on pretty well with RC too.

Anyway your not going. I said that all along. Lets move on......

Top Bottom