rjbulach

Nov 10, 2005
i just bought a new pair of smith warp goggles with a roll off system. the film is clinging to the new lens. what should i clean my lens with to keep this from happening?

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
actually, if you take two pieces of fishing line, strung tight, near the top and bottom edge of the roll off film, between the film and the lens, it will keep it from sticking. You can tie off the ends of the fishing lines at the pegs for the canisters.

works like a champ.

rjbulach

Nov 10, 2005
roll off systems on warp goggles don't have mounting posts like older style goggles. I do like your fishing line idea though. i seen in dirt rider magizine quite a few months ago that there is something out there you can simply wash your lens with and its supposed to help keep the film from clinging to the lens. just having problems tracking down the article.
i'm alittle disappointed though that i paid $72.95 for a pair of goggles as a "racer pack" (thats with the roll of system , mud visor for the roll off system, and two rolls of film) and i'm having this kind of problem right out of the box. The cleaning instructions in that came with the goggles said to wash the lens with clean tap water. I tried that and the film still clings to lens.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Any moisture at all and the roll offs will stick. We have never really had any issues with the Smith system unless we got water under the roll off film. I see you listed the mud visor as part of the pack so I'm assuming it's in place overlapping the rolloff strip? Otherwise lift the film and make sure you didn't leave some moisture on there when you cleaned the lens? I originally bought the roll offs for my son as I figured it would be easier for a new racer than dealing with tear-offs, Can't recall the last time he used the rolloff system now though.

rjbulach

Nov 10, 2005
these goggles have never been used. i am having this problem with them straight out of the box. so moisture is not an issue.

TPbeMe

Dec 2, 2000
I too have the Smith Roll-Off system; and, I too have had nothing but problems with the film sticking.

I have long since tried the fishing line "fix" with mixed results. The line has a tendency to pull off of the mounting screws when the goggles flex, leaving me in the woods with screwed up goggles to contend with.

In my opinion, the manufacturer needs to take responsibility for this "F-up" in design and come up with a viable fix for the consumers who have laid down the cash for an "unfulfilled promise."

Since then, I've switched back to tear-offs, as well as, another brand of goggle.

TP
2003 Gas Gas EC 300
2000 Suzuki DRZ 400E

Top Bottom