SMMWest

Mod Ban
Dec 7, 2008
Ando400,

Being that you are an Aussie, I was wondering if you could give me an update on former Yamaha and Honda Factory Rider Jeff Leisk? That guy was fast! Was one of my favorite riders when I was a little kid. I even followed his career when he left the states and rode the 500cc World Championships in Europe.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
SMMWest said:
Ando400,

Being that you are an Aussie, I was wondering if you could give me an update on former Yamaha and Honda Factory Rider Jeff Leisk? That guy was fast! Was one of my favorite riders when I was a little kid. I even followed his career when he left the states and rode the 500cc World Championships in Europe.

I remember that name.. Where in NorCal are you? :ride:

Ando400

May 2, 2002
Jeff is now the head of KTM Australia, based here in Perth, Western Australia. I don't think he rides much competitively anymore, although he does participate in some KTM sponsored ride tours and that sort of thing where he apparently still kicks butt!

Some of this I know through the Technical Manager of KTM Australia who I know reasonably well, and who, as an aside, can claim another former great as his brother-in-law - Kurt Nicoll.

Jeff ended up peaking with a second in the World 500 MX GP's around 1980 or 1981 (I think). He was never really recognised much for his achievement, which is still a recurring theme in Australia today. Chad Reed would be the best Australian motorsport export in the current era (with probably only a handful better of all time), yet is still relatively unrecognised outside dirtbike circles. He is incidently about the 5th best paid Australian sports star behind a few golfers and basketballers who play in the US, yet is probably less recognisable here than some tennis players who struggle to crack the top 100.

SMMWest

Mod Ban
Dec 7, 2008
Ando400,

Jeff Leisk had that 2nd in the 500cc World MX Championships in 1989 I believe and not 1980-1981. Jeff came to the states in 1984 on a Privateer Honda, then in 1987 got a Yamaha Factory Ride. I still remember some of his battles with Yamaha of Canada Support Rider Ross "Roller Ball" Pederson.

In 1988 he got a Honda Factory Ride. He was just always out shined by Rick Johnson, George Holland (in 1988 Holland won the 125cc Nationals on a Honda CR125) and Guy Cooper. They lumped him in with their Factory Support Rider at the time Fred Andrews when Jeff was a wayyyy better rider then Fred Andrews.

The Factory Honda Team kinda did a trade. They wanted Jean-Michele Bayle here in the states so they kinda traded Jeff Leisk away to Europe and brought Jean-Michele Bayle (my second favorite rider of all time) to America.

I THANK YOU sincerely for the update on where he is and what he is doing. It is great that he is working for the KTM team. Kinda makes me want to go buy a KTM just because of the man the hired to represent their Factory. Hats off to Jeff Leisk for the career that he had both in the States and in Europe (he could of had that title if it wasn't for Eric "the kid" Geobors).

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
RC, the GOAT, and hands down the greatest mud racer! So far for CR, a really solid fast racer, not real good coming through the pack(compared to RC,JS) I do not even remember the last time he crashed(and whined for months) Now I remember, it was in the sand a couple years ago? 2nd fastest? No, actually 3rd. Them years when JS and RC just took off and left him. 4th/3rd has been up for grabs, and far behind this trio/dou for a while! Average in the mud. JS, the fastest racer I have ever seen, through the pack unreal speed, the seasons he lost, mostly from spectacular crashes. Average in the mud. RV is gaining momentum! Here is hoping its raining in San Francisco Saturday!

YamaB

Apr 2, 2004
I think Reed has been riding the best he ever has. Unfortunately, his main event starts have been TERRIBLE. You really can't spot JBS a few seconds early in the race and then have any hopes of catching him.

I think JBS is still just a little faster, but if Reed can get off the start close to him, he might be able to pressure James into making a mistake and get the win for himself. Kind of like Ricky vs. James in '06. James seemed to be just slightly faster than RC, but RC was able to pressure him into making a LOT of mistakes throughout the season which gave RC yet another title.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
^^^Exactly. JS doesn't do too well with someone on his fender IMO.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Reed looks awesome on the RM. .... as mentioned earlier, looks faster than ever.
IMHO, JS has been lucky that Reed has gotten bad starts while they work-out the YZ for JS. That being said, it looks like over the last couple of races, the YZ is working.

If that's the case? Reed has enough to make James wick it up. JS seems to be playing it smart this year, riding just fast enough, not having a mind to "destroy" people as he has in the past.

Bottom line? If JS doesn't suffer a brain fart, Reed will never beat him. Without doing the research, I'm not sure Reed has EVER beat RC or JS, straight-up.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Okiewan said:
Bottom line? If JS doesn't suffer a brain fart, Reed will never beat him. Without doing the research, I'm not sure Reed has EVER beat RC or JS, straight-up.
I'm sure some Australian on the site will find some proof that Reed has. ;)

he is a gritty WARRIOR, after all . . . :rotfl:

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
XRpredator said:
I'm sure some Australian on the site will find some proof that Reed has. ;)

he is a gritty WARRIOR, after all . . . :rotfl:

Maybe he will retire soon, and take Emig's place on TV..

:yikes:

Ando400

May 2, 2002
What I would like to see is Reed getting better starts. At Anaheim I before the crash and one other race (maybe Phoenix?) he was putting the heat right on Stewart. It's that sort of pressure that might force Stewart into a mistake. Coming from mid-pack or worse though it's pretty much game over.

B

biglou

For some reaon I like reed more on the yellow bike. And it seems like JBS is slowly figuring out that Yamaha. I don't really care who wins, I'd just like to see anything but a JBS runaway season. :nod:

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
Okiewan said:
, I'm not sure Reed has EVER beat RC or JS, straight-up.

San Diego, February 19th 2005, "Chad (Reed) kicked my butt tonight," said Carmichael. "I am not one to make excuses. I went for it on the last lap and things didn't work out"

CR won several races the 05 season but RC got a few more and the title.

Red Mamba

Feb 5, 2006
Chili said:
Lites Qualifier #1HOW CAN I GET TO LISTEN TO THE LIVE WEBCAST OR LIVE @ THE WIRE? ANYBODY KNOW?

Metcalfe comes from behind to beat Pourcel by less than a second. Izzi comes from outside top 10 to third.

To main:

Metcalfe
Pourcel
Izzi
T. Wharton
W. Hahn
Durham
Goerke
Jesseman
Ward

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom