hubbardbilly

Jun 17, 2012
No spark...replaced ignition coil first, assuming it was the culprit. Still no spark. Got a CDI off ebay...still no spark. Finally splurged for the repair manual and went through the electrical system. Turns out it's a bad pickup coil (no resistance reading across the designated wires). This figures because I ended up replacing the oil seal that was leaking into the flywheel case. The oil probably trashed the electrical connecitons.

Anyhow, what are my options at this point? Bike runs great otherwise and I got it for $400 but I don't want to spend $150 on a stator. I've never repaired a pickup coil but I suspect that it can't be that hard? I haven't seen any replacement coils on the web.

Thanks in advance for the expertise!

Oh, bonus question...since I have 2 ignition coils, I tested them both and they both read the same across the small and big coils. However, both of the "small" coils read exactly the same, which was about twice what it should have been per the manual. Is this because we're dealing with small readings and the outside temperature is affecting the resistivity?

Top Bottom