running low on bottom end

mikeman

Jan 18, 2004
Ive been riding my 95 kdx 200 for a few months now, and ive really noticed that my bike has no bottom end at all... I can barely keep the thing revving if im in some sand or loose dirt.. and it seems like every huge hill I try to climb my bike just bogs out and stalls even while down shifting thouroughly. I built the motor myself and am really thinking i screwed something up :(. Im thinking its the powervalve perhaps? When i put the top end on I didnt really look to see if I had put all the powervalve components on in the correct position to allow for the correct timing. My question is simply.. is it possible to mess up the timing on the powervalve, and would this result in massive loss of torque in the bottom end? As a rider I really enjoy the bottom end of my bike more than the top and am really looking forward to fixing this problem.. and any pointers to increase the power its delivering in the bottom end would be much appreciated. I'd like to know what people find is the best sprocket combination for the most bottom end on their bikes aswell. Thanks for all of your help in advance, and happy trails! Mike.

cicone

Sep 29, 2003
My question is simply.. is it possible to mess up the timing on the powervalve, and would this result in massive loss of torque in the bottom end?

The answer is YES. Before the days of powervalves, 2 stroke engines were limited to making big power in a narrow rpm range. The powervalves essentially make it like you have one cylinder for low rpm and one cylinder for high rpm. If, for instance, your valves are stuck open, then high rpm is were your cylinder makes the most power---and the opposite is also true. I would double check the installation/function first. :cool:

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…