Dekema

Jan 8, 2006
New guy here, my son is 6 and has been riding a 50 since he was 3. He is now on a 65 and doing pretty good and is VERY interested in getting on some trails AWAY from the track in the yard. Here is the question:

Can anyone help me find an ORV safety class around Kalamazoo? Grand Rapids? anywhere in West Michigan? We need 5 or 6 openings (ages 6-11 and maybe a couple of adults) because I would like my nephews that my son rides with to also take the class.

I've been looking on the web for about 3 weeks and have e-mailed CCC, Calhoun County Sheriff (from the DNR website) and talked to some of the local Dealers and have been given lots of run around but no actual information for WHEN, WHERE, HOW MUCH $ to get this kid going on the right track. Heck most of the Dealers said " just let him ride and dont worry about it, they never check..." That is not exactly what I was looking for if you know what I mean.

Thanks for any help,
Sorry it sounds like a rant, I'm just amazed it is so hard to find a class that is REQUIRED for all kids under 12 to ride.
Dave Dekema, Kalamazoo Mi.

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Dave,

Welcome to this site! It's pretty neat you want to get your kids out on the trails.

I put my two sons through the CCC training several years back, and the two gentlemen that gave them training did an excellent job. This training was done just north of Grand Rapids near Sand Lake.

It's too bad the CCC hasn't gotten with you, but the directorship of the organization is in the middle of a change. 2Trakr lurks on this site, and can help you further. If you look at a recent thread titled "new CCC Director found" or something like that, you'll get more information on this. I believe a new phone number is also listedm to call to get on the rider ceritifcation list.

The first CCC ride of the year, the Rites of Spring, always has rider certification training. Most of the rides also do, but I'm not sure if all of them do.

You came to the right spot, you WILL get help here!

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Here's the information I remember being in the New Director thread. This should help you out:

"At the Cycle Conservation Club of Michigan's meeting on January 18th Lewis Schuler was hired as the new Executive Director.

The CCC will be having an address change to...
Cycle Conservation Club of Michigan
P.O. Box 486
Coldwater, Michigan 49036

with a new phone number coming out soon, until then Lewis can be contacted at 517-569-9999."

Dekema

Jan 8, 2006
I was hopeing to get this thing out of the way as soon as possible so as soon as we have a weekend off and it's warm enough for him to be able to handle it we can hit the trails. I havn't been on the trails in 15 years (been doing the Rock Crawling thing with Jeeps) and now that my boy is actually old enough to handle a bike AND make smart decisions (with my help of course) I'm getting geeked to get out there with him.
His newest saying: "......You said when it's over 50 degrees....get your stuff on Dad!" I love that!

Thanks for the quick reply's and yea I've already learned a bunch lurking on here, Looks like a membership to the CCC is in order.

Dave

2TrakR

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2002
Dave -

I don't know of any safety training programs being held this winter. Most of the courses we're involved with are hands-on which is usually difficult to do in the winter with all the snow and ice. Admittedly this winter has been lacking much of that white stuff!
Rites of Spring (May 6-7) is usually our first training date. I'll check tonight to see if there is anything else planned or close to you.

Z-8

Mi. Trail Riders
Jul 25, 2005
Dave:
This is where you'll find the gods of off road motorcycles. There are no questions they cannot answer!
My oldest son and several neighborhood kids(10 to 15 total) had the training in an open field near our home. The CCC sent the instructors to us, I assume because there was a large enough group.
Another option might be the Family Enduro Series(FES). In the past they have offered this training after the event.
Congrats on getting your son started out right.
RUZZ

Dekema

Jan 8, 2006
Yea, I'm realizing that now I should have started here first. I have E-mailed CCCnurse with specifics and we will see how this pans out. I do have a small (maybe 1 acre) kids track at my house that would work if they need to use it. I know at least all the kids that need the class are already pretty good at using it safely and when I mentioned it to them they were all excited about getting the training.
Thanks again for everyones input!
Dave

Dekema

Jan 8, 2006
Still looking for a safetly class for my son. ANYONE have any info on getting some kids trained BEFORE may. I'd really like to get him out next week (his spring break) to get some one on one time with him and a single track before the crowds get too big.

dnrtheil

Mar 18, 2003
Taken from the DNR website:

Not as soon as you want but maybe if you have enough people this guy can run a class for you sooner.

Class Type: ORV
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

County: CALHOUN
Instructor: Todd Turner
Phone: 269-781-0939 Ext. 5
Start: 04/14/2006
CLASS HELD AT CALHOUN COUNTY SHERIFF OFFICE, 212 S. GRAND STREET, MARSHALL. CLASS DATES AND TIMES ARE: 05/05/2006 6:00PM-9:00AM. CONTACT TODD TURNER AT 269-781-0939 EXT. 5, CALL DURING HOURS OF 9:00AM AND 5:00PM FOR FURTHER INFORMATION.

Dekema

Jan 8, 2006
Thank you very much! back in January when I first started looking around I E-mailed a couple of people from that Sheriff's office and still have not recieved a reply. Anybody else have anything sooner.....If not the boy may just have to wait!

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
There will be a safety class on April 29th in Kalkaska, MI after the Family Enduro event. One of the participants, who also does some training for the CCC, will be doing a class after the trophy presentation.
Mike

Top Bottom