sag adjustment/lowering my bike seat hieght

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
I need to lower the seat height on my bike its affecting my cornering some ie can't touch the ground good enough. I can barely tip toe on the bike right now with one foot. It wasn't such a problem with my '01 CR cause the seat height is an inch lower. I know how to figure out how to get the correct settings. But I'm still sorta lost of what way to turn the collars. I turn them down to increase the sag to put my pressure on the spring right? cause going the other way will make it stiff and sit higher? right now its stock at 100mm's I was thinking of just going alittle more by at the most 5mm's this shouldn't mess with the suspension balance etc much or can I do more say like 10mm's? I just need ya guys to point me in the right direction getting tried of stalling out on a berm and having to get off the bike just to restart takes way to much time. btw going to softer springs is not an option I really don't have the time for something like that now. No I don't want to chop the suspension either I need like a ricky charmicheal setup :) I'm only 5'5".

pro-design

Nov 6, 2001
sag help

I don't suggest running more sag than 100 mm , you need to figure out if you have the right spring k.g. for your weight. If your 140 or so you should get a litter spring for your bike. If I were you I would concider different lowering options like shaving seat foam or cutting a inch off your sub frame. I have a 115 # rider I sponser and he can't be any taller than 5' 3" we run a 4.2 or 4.0 spring on his 125 depending on riding situation.

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
Pro-design you the owner of pro-design in marysville? Well with all my gear on I weight 135-140ish. I don't know if I want to go softer on the springs really I can bottom the shock out now once in awhile if I case it but of course that will happen. If you feel that would help the most then I'll look into that, I don't really have the time right now to do that I'm racing the arenacross series right now. If I take in the suspension how fast of a turn around can I get on a rebuild/resprung? I would need it back in say like 3-4 business days.
Thanks

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
First off MXP1MP, you turn the collars down, putting additional pre-load on the spring and you will DECREASE you sag. To increase sag, loosen off the spring pre-load collars.

To verify if you need to go to the next softer spring, set your sag to 100mm, then measure free sag. That is the measurement with bike off stand under it's own weight only. It should be somewhere around 15-25mm. If it is greater than that, you should have a softer spring.

As for the job of changing the spring, just order a spring (if you need one) and install it yourself. It's like an hour job, at worst. No special tools needed. Just remove the shock and loosen off the collars completely. At the base of the spring (opposite the collars) you will find a cup that the bottom of the spring sits on. That cup slides up (towards the spring). Under it is a small metal ring that holds it from coming off. Remove the ring and slide the "cup" off, along with the spring. Reverse procedure to reinstalation of new spring.

Hope this helps some,

MACE

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 13, 1999
The Snohomish County Crew Is In the House...

Joe, if I were you I'd start by backing off the preload to lower the back by 15mm and then raise the fork tubes in the triple clamps by the same amount. Do this on a practice day so if you hate it you won't ruin a race. This will cost you nothing but thirty minutes of fiddling. All the suspension experts will blow an o-ring about this advice, but I think you should always try the free stuff first.

I think you are wise to consider lowering your bike for Monroe AX. Good cornering is key.

Pro-Designs suggestion of lowering the subframe is excellent. It works for JMG, eh?

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom