Sand settings

Matt_H

Sep 13, 2001
I was wondering if there are any set up tricks I could do for sand. Like i mean deep dry sand. Bike is a '03 kx250 with stock suspension. The track has no big jumps at all and is full of deep whoops from getting pounded out. Any pointers?

dthoms

Oct 6, 2002
Matt,
Guessing that you already have your sag set. I would suggest turrning up the compression dampening on both the forks and the shock. I would turn it up two or three clicks at a time until it felt too stiff and then back it off.
If your rear end starts to feel like it is bucking I would then increase the rebound.
If your bike is under sprung you will notice it in deep sand whoops the most, IMO.
With my last bike I rode a real sandy track and I had the compression maxed out on both ends by the end of the day, and it seemed to help. That was late in the season, and when I serviced the forks in the winter I found the springs were shortened beyond their service limit. I then replaced them and didn't seem to have the same problem the next year.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…