Apr 30, 2007
So...in the past three months I broke my collarbone...again, sold my big black 125, and picked up a 2005 supermini.

I was being very well behaved and not breaking doctors orders in the least...took the supermini out for one little run at the farm where I was left with a pretty huge smile.

Shortly before my fun was over, I let the dad take it for a quick ride...and heard an almost girlish squeal of surprise as the little machine did it's thing...he's a fairly good rider...so that made me smile too.

Then, I was bitten by the withdrawl bug.

I had been a whole month without riding, and somehow the paychecks worked out so that I found myself in a position to barely afford a 6 hour trip to New Richmond WI. The new little bike seemed very happy to hear my idea of visiting it's home track, so I packed up my car on friday night.

I got up at 6:04 am to finish loading and packing, and picked up my co-pilot at about 7:45. She was a friend from school, and married, and I figured that she would be a safe pick even if she did suck at navigating. I know which way is north, and she only needed to read me directions that I had printed out already.

After a quick fill on gas, which is not as expensive at the moment, we were on our way.

The drive was a very nice one actually, and the sun was shining very nicely in the face of winter weather advisories. The wind was in my favor, and even with the trailer I was getting about 27 miles per gallon. I had a pretty good feeling about this adventure so far!

I've never travelled in a big city before, and making my way through and across Minneapolis/St. Paul was my biggest worry. I found that going slightly faster through the traffic made me feel more confidant, and my stereotypically female ego enjoyed all the stares drawn by my new little bike.

It's a guy magnet!! :)

Having left at 8:01 am, we made good time, and reached the Sandbox at about 1:37 pm. I picked a parking spot nearest to the building as I could find, and ventured timidly inside.

As I walked through the doors, I was greeted by the old familiar "Braaaap!" of minis on the track, and the wonderful smell of 2-cycle exhaust and race gas wafted over me.

I had made it, and the usual pre-race excitement began to show on my face. The sight of the track, as intimidating as the large jumps appeared to be, brought the same expression to my face as that of a small child in a candy store.

"OhMyGOSH!!!! IT'S HUGE!!!"

Registration brought forth a few concerns. I began hearing horror stories of the disorganization of the last race, and heard that the pits were already packed.

"Last time, we didn't start until well past 6, and they had to shut us down for an hour because the carbon monoxide levels got too high. We didn't get out of here until midnight!!!"

This news was very worrysome. I certainly couldn't afford a hotel, and the thought of sleeping in my car in the cold, with the freshly admitted lesbian...who was also freshly admitted to being "crazy over" me even though she's married.

(What is it with me and all these crazy lesbians?!? Seriously. Stay out of my car, and off my bike, and out of my personal space too! I do NOT want to cuddle with you. Ever.)

Now that my rant is over, I'll go back to my story...

Registration was fairly painless, and now being granted access to the pits, I went to check things out. The website said they had room for about 300 bikes, so I had expected there to be plenty of room. What I found was bikes packed handlebar to handlebar, with no room for chairs.

Having seen the pit conditions, I scrambled to unload my little bike and squeeze it in a spot as soon as possible. My co-pilot helped by carrying the stand, and opened the doors so I could get into the pits.

Having found a tiny space in a corner, I backed the bike into place, and promptly realized that I had no idea how on earth to lift it on a normal stand, as I don't have a triangle stand for it yet.

I stood there staring stupidly for a moment, trying to figure out where to try grab on the frame. Then a random big guy came and did it for me. Thankyou!!!

It got pretty smoggy and tight and cold up until the driver's meeting. Practice had gone without much trouble, and I realized what a month without riding, and a year without riding hard, does to one's skill and speed.

Er...not that I was trying to go very fast anyway...

(TBC)

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
justalonewolf007 said:
This news was very worrysome. I certainly couldn't afford a hotel, and the thought of sleeping in my car in the cold, with the freshly admitted lesbian...who was also freshly admitted to being "crazy over" me even though she's married.

(What is it with me and all these crazy lesbians?!? Seriously. Stay out of my car, and off my bike, and out of my personal space too! I do NOT want to cuddle with you. Ever.)

:whoa: That's a bit awkward, huh?! :yikes:

hot125mod

Jan 14, 2007
hey just a lone wolf I was just at sandbox on sunday the 16th that place is awesome. where do you live in minnesota Im from Maple Grove

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
justalonewolf007 said:
I am a good 5.5 hours north of your location. And not single.
Yeah she has her new travelling partner :) :boss:

I can not believe we have never made it to Sandbox and we only live about 4 hours away. Can not wait to hear your final impressions of the facility

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
"Last time, we didn't start until well past 6, and they had to shut us down for an hour because the carbon monoxide levels got too high. We didn't get out of here until midnight!!!"

How do they ventilate?

Apr 30, 2007
Hey now! :P

If you want the short version, check out Oldguy's thread in the General Forum "Indoor Wisconsin"...ahm...don't quote me on that, but it has those two words in it.

Joe: I didn't really try figure it out. They have three seperate areas - The pits, the lobby, and the track. Each is run on it's own ventilation system. As for what they specifically use, I have no idea. I saw some (two) REALLY big fans on one side of the track, with what appeared to be giant heating ducts above the bleachers, and they said one of the big fans had been added since the last race.

As for the rest of my adventure...it goes a little like this:

The grin on my face after practice was massive. Those simple three laps around the track had done wonders for my mental and physical well being. I was all but shaking from the simple exhilaration of being back in the saddle.

The supermini, although not completely familiar with it yet, seemed to hold a similar attitude to that of my beloved old 80. As I got the checkered flag telling me practice was over, the bike seemed to say "No no! We can't be done playing yet!! Let's go another lap!!!!"

"Not too much longer little bike and we'll do it again..."

Some random person caught me talking as I struggled and hefted it on the stand and gave me a goofy grin, and shook his head. I returned it with a huge grin; I didn't care.

Finally, my high wore down, and the cold met my skin with vengence. I wandered around, doing my best to stay warm, while avoiding the cuddley chick as much as possible. Half of me was worried that she'd wandered off and gotten lost, while the other half of me was simply glad to relax and enjoy the exhaust and noise.

I soon found her shivering in the stands wearing not one, but BOTH of my hoodies. Geeze.

"Ah...didn't you bring a jacket like I said to?"

*no reply*

"Ah...y'know...you should sit in the lobby. It's warmer there."

"I was but there were like some really crazy guys there that were like hitting on me so I came in here. We can sit out there, but you have to stay near and like protect me from them."

"Ahhhhh.....ok....?"

This thought was...both terrifying and absolutely hilarious. I don't know what was funnier, her thinking I could defend her, or the mental image of me and all my 5'2" and 120 pounds going up against some 6' 200 pound guy.

Geeze. What had I gotten myself into!?!

There was nowhere to sit, so we stood. We got a couple hot chocolates, and that at least helped me stop shivering. She still hadn't relinquished either of my hoodies. And my 3/4 sleeve (on me, it's more like a 7/8ths sleeve) thor jersey wasn't doing much towards keeping me warm.

She wanted to watch more races, so I obliged her request, and we went back to the stands again. It was cold. I was cold. And she kept scooting closer and closer. When I got pinned between the railing and her. She promptly put her head on my shoulder and reached for my hand.

"Ah...stop."

"Stop what? I'm just trying to stay warm."

"Staying warm, and cuddling are two VERY different things. Try it again, I'm going to throw you head first into that garbage If that doesn't do the trick, I'm going to tell those guys you're interested."

It worked.

I noticed the amount of double-drops they were doing, and doublechecked the riding line up to see where I was. Moto 20 out of 30. Nuts.

I was also being triple-dropped with two vet's classes. Double nuts. I figured though, that my chances of coming out alive and not broken were a lot higher than they would have been if it would have been decided that I was to ride with the 85 class.

As my luck would have it, the motos weren't numbered correctly, so when I showed up to push my bike out of the pits, the clothespin guy told me I was too early.

"Doh. Ah...when is it my turn?!"

"Soon!"

"Okie!"

Finally, I got waved in, and I got ready to line up.

I looked up, and frantically searched for the stoplights. "Oh crap oh crap oh crap where is it!?!?...wait Tolle...this is the big time sorta...mebbe you better look for the hot chick with the minute board...thingy."

I found out there was no stereotypical hot chick. I wasn't disappointed, given my luck with chicks as of recent.

We lined up, started up, and just before the roar of fourstrokes drowned out my voice in a sea of super tingley "FHWUUUUP" I warned the two riders next to me not to run me over when they lapped me.

Then the not-so-hot minute board guy told us to cut our engines. I clicked back into neutral, and relaxed a little for the wait. I started shivering a little...and got giggled at, but didn't mind.

The rider got up on his own, and walked off the track.

We started up, and went from 1 minute to 30 seconds to 15 seconds to the run and gate drop all in...about seven seconds. I revved and watched the gate drop...and pinned it.

"BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP"

Nothing happened!! I wasn't moving! I was eating rocks and dirt chunks and dust!!

"AH CRAP!!!"

"Oh."

I clicked into first gear, and things reacted as they were supposed to.

My "oops" turned into a "WheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeYiiiiiiiiiikes!!!" as I flew across a low tabletop, and into the corner. "EASY LITTLE ROCKET!!!! We don't need to get them!!!"

Perhaps my biggest struggle riding the little rocket was that I couldnt' grip with my legs like I was used to on my big black beast. Having no decals, no gripper seat, and dull polished plastics, I had several occasions where I truely believed that I was coming off the back. These were mostly when I was navigating the tabletops that were near vertical.

I got lapped by the top three riders, and was very pleased that they never even came close to me, even in the corners. I have to hand it to those guys. You may use a cane off the bike, but it really is a treat to see you flick those bikes around like no one's business. Thanks for the room guys, it truely was appreciated!

The checkered flag came out, and I coasted down the "hill," and made my way back to my stand in the pits. Copilot showed up and took my helmet and goggles while I tried to navigate the bike-on-stand without tipping over the rest of the row like a super-expensive set of multicolored dominoes.

To manage this, I essentially lift the entire bike off the ground...and hope that I make the stand when putting it back down. Eventually, I'll find someone to teach me the proper method. As I managed to get the little F18 (My dad compared this bike a "fighter jet rocket" once...and I thought it was kinda funny) fully off the ground, I noticed her rubbing her fingers across the inside and outside of my goggle lens.

"AH! What are you doing!?"

"Look!!...I wrote "HAWT" in the dust on your goggle thingies"

Here is where I mention that I'm fairly OCD about the treatment of my gear. Don't touch the inside or outside of the lens if I can avoid it. Pick up my helmets by the chinbar or strap only. Don't set them where they'll get melted, dropped, kicked, or get lots of dust, grass, or rocks inside.

Next is the nearly domino show that occurred when I nearly dropped my little F18.

I'm just glad I caught both bikes before they fell into the next one.

Again, there was much weirdness to be had with copilot present...but I was determined not to let her spoil my racing day.

The next moto went similarly, except I was ready for the gate this time and got a half decent start. Being back on the little bike, I even started to relax into the corners a little more...and stopped fighting the ruts. I kept my eyes forward, and my head up.

I made it a little further around before I got lapped too. However this time, things were a little more exciting.

The three fast riders came quite close indeed. As I rolled through the bottom of a big triple, one rider flew overhead (maybe not directly over head...but it was pretty close!!!!). Two others flew past on both sides of me a split second later.

I didn't feel endangered, but I am pretty sure I peed a little!

Crossing the finishline, I caught just a little air...and doing so, even if it was only 2 inches, made me feel downright superhuman.

It is for moments like this, that I ride.

The rest of the adventure was rather a blur...

I left the sandbox at about 11:45 (packing up took a little extra time in the dark...especially when copilot had never tied down a bike before). Most of the 6 hour drive home was quite rough. I was exhausted, but NOT fond of copilot's "hotel room" idea.

To my relief, she slept part of the way back to my town.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
I'm going to assume you'll be looking for a new "co-pilot"!? Ida whooped her arse and left her to get ride home with some of those guys from the track (maybe one of the guys from "are you smarter than a 50 rider").

Being surrounded by fast riders is a rush for sure, but it freaks me out a bit. I always brace for the one who's in a broad side brake slide trying not to run me over when he plows into me. Our local track has a pretty long downhill that the fast guys hit at about 80mph, they FLY! There's a tabletop right as you come to it and the landing is the hill. I hit the tabletop in third, they must be dang near tapped out.

Glad to hear you made the best of it and had a good time. Kinda hard to not have when riding though, lol.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Absolutely fantastic reading! I am also spoken for, but old, but will be taking a cold shower soon!!! Do you know who modded your CR? You have got to go to an arena cross race near you. You will need a better co pilot, and a gps will be priceless! Also, check into some winter under garments that wick moisture away. The body armour or something like that will keep you dry, and not too hot. How does the suspension feel for your riding ability? Pushing in corners, bucking or bottoming out? That stock motor rips/hard to manage for a beginner. Thats why I was curious who modded it. If it was set for a maniac mini racer, it could be set better for you. Same with the suspension, and rule #1, is the sag set?

B

biglou

Awesome story! I haven't been in here for months. Glad I found this!

As for bike loading, it's a matter of leverage. Have you ever loaded, or as they say: "bucked", hay bales? Same principle. I've got the bike loading down to a science, which I have illustrated with the following charts, graphs and PowerPoint presentations. Ok, it's just a picture, but hopefully it helps:

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
biglou said:
Awesome story! I haven't been in here for months. Glad I found this!

As for bike loading, it's a matter of leverage. Have you ever loaded, or as they say: "bucked", hay bales? Same principle. I've got the bike loading down to a science, which I have illustrated with the following charts, graphs and PowerPoint presentations. Ok, it's just a picture, but hopefully it helps:
Or Lou's real method- find the biggest lesbian around and have her lift it up for him :p

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Wow, Lou! You must have been hanging from the rafters to get that overhead shot of the new bike! :)

I do the same thing, or did before I got my lift stand. :nener:

Apr 30, 2007
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
Absolutely fantastic reading! Do you know who modded your CR? You have got to go to an arena cross race near you. You will need a better co pilot, and a gps will be priceless! Also, check into some winter under garments that wick moisture away. The body armour or something like that will keep you dry, and not too hot. How does the suspension feel for your riding ability? Pushing in corners, bucking or bottoming out? That stock motor rips/hard to manage for a beginner. Thats why I was curious who modded it. If it was set for a maniac mini racer, it could be set better for you. Same with the suspension, and rule #1, is the sag set?

Thanks!

I know there are races in Fergus Falls, which is about 2 hours away from me. Another option is the Motodome near Staples. Both of which I hope to try at least once!

P2R or PR2? Racing did the engine. (I believe they're the ones based out of Cali). I thought my stock 80 was quick...this new little bike is really quite the little jet rocket.

The suspension was set up for a 115-130 pound rider. With my gear, I think I tick the scales at about 122-125? I have no competent helpers at the moment to help me check the sag, so I will hopefully get that done before the next race.

I do know that practicing corners at my parent's farm (driveway perpendicular to the road makes for a perfect berm if you ride in the ditch!!!) the bike seemed to suck itself down in the corner. It wasn't diving or jumping around, it just seemed to be on rails.

During the race, I wasn't paying as much attention to the bike as I was to the terrain and my environment. I would probably set things to be just a hair stiffer, with a little quicker rebound. I may be unused to a good suspension setup, but going through whoops on that thing is like riding a sponge! I think things were near bottoming once or twice, but I can't remember for sure. I didn't have any one watching closely enough to let me know for sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyDkJ_kLVjo

That movie, if you check out bike number 235 that shows up at the 40 second mark is the exact one I bought (pretty sure). In the movie, things look pretty soft, but the kid who rides it is very fast...

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
If you bottom on the meanest part of the track, they are not bad! The old joke on riding indoors was "bury all the clickers in". Increase the compression a little and speed up the rebound. A national arena crosss track will be like 4 straight aways, rhythm, whoops catapult finish and the flat start. Places like the sand box are nice, but the track is very busy and confined. I have not been to the sand box, but usually the arena cross is better ventilated and heated. I will see about the pr2 thing, but, any issues, Forward Motion is closer!!

Apr 30, 2007
:) I plan on contacting PR2 (as in PR squared) to find out if they have a record of what they did to my machine. Or if they have a one engine fits all riders...they might be able to send a few specs that I could forward to Eric if something goes wrong.

For now, I'm fairly satisfied. The power is actually very concentrated on the bottom end from what I can tell. It pulls from the bottom like a fourstroke! However, you can actually feel when it's tapped out, that it loses that wild pull. My older 80 was probably set up to have that pull all the way through the top end.

Love bikes...

Top Bottom