Santa Barbara Divide Peak ride info

WR-D426

Mar 17, 2002
I am looking for some info on Divide Peak. It is located above Santa Barbara. I understand one of the boards moderators used to live at the top of East Camino Cielo. TTRGuy is his handle. I would love to hear from him or anyone else who has done this ride.

gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
It was me. I've ridden at Divide peak several times and I used to live on
East Camino Cielo. What sort of info are you looking for?

It is not a very large riding area but it is convenient if you live in SB. There is a large staging/parking area at the end of the dirt road then you can ride up the fire road (to the left) to the trails or to the track. I believe the track is only groomed once a year so it's up in the air what it's condition will be like. There is hardly ever anyone there. Most I've seen in the parking lot is 3 or 4 trucks. The views are excellent!
Apparently if you continue up the fire road far enough there is a pond. It's on the map at the track but I've never been there before.
There are no fees and I don't think you need an adventure pass but don't quote me on that.
Do you live in SB?

Unit74

Dec 16, 2001
The track is mostly natual terrain and ussually rutted out. It consists of fire road which narrows down into dual track in some places. You will need a hard terrain tires as there are lots of solid rock secrtions and IT or soft tires will definitely start throwing knobs. The trail does get quite technical in a few sections, but most decent riders will be able to negotiate it. The trail dead ends over Carpenteria and you will have views of the entire coastline from Ventura to Winchester Cyn. The lake in Ojai is quite predominant as well. A cell pnone is a must as it gets into the Back country pretty deep.

If you decide to down down the hill from the staging area, you will be able to visit the natual hot springs. Take a right after the ranger station and that road will take you right too it. Just don't go haullin' ass by his house and you'll be cool.

It is considered the Los Padres Nat Forest so you can be sited for not having the Adventure Tax, I mean Pass so get yourself one of those.

It is an OK place to ride, but if you live in the vicinity of it, with the amount of time it takes to get there for Goleta, where I lived, it almost makes sense to just go to Gorman as going up the roads will take you some time. It is a nice drive on a clear day, though.

WR-D426

Mar 17, 2002
Gospeed & Unit74, thanks for the reply. We are doing a dual sport trip. We are starting at Ventura Harbor and taking the back roads up to Divide Peak. I am taking some green riders and didn't want them to get in over there head. Since I have never been there I really didn't know what to expect. I have a much better idea now and I know we will have a really good ride. I work in Goleta and know the backroads really well because of work. Were gonna have to pound a bunch of pavment but that good being that the group needs time on their bikes. I'll post a ride report if you like. Thanks again!

gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
Sounds like fun. Hope you guys have a good time. How many will be in your group? Will a guy named Doug Sillers be joining you? He's newer to the sport, has an XR400 and is getting into some dual sport rides in the area. He's new to DRN as well. I used to work with him in Goleta. If he's not going to be apart of your group and you wouldn't mind another joining in maybe I'll pass word of your trip along to him.

I'd love to see a ride report afterwards. If someone is going to be taking a camera along I'll bet you could get some nice pictures. :)

dirtjunkie

~SPONSOR~
Mar 1, 2001
Hey WR-D 426, if you really want a great ride you can get the gate combination from Ojai Valley Ranger station (805) 646-4348 next to the old bowling alley in downtown Ojai. Then gas up at the 76 Union next to Vons and head up hwy 33 past Pine Mountain Inn. Turn left on Patraeo Seco road/trail directly across from pine mountain turnoff. From there continue all the way till you hit the connector between "Matilija and Juncal" right there, then all the way to Juncal campground. You might "have" to go around two gates. Then on to the hot springs. Then ride out though the divide peak area. The whole loop was about 150+ miles from east Ventura and back. I did it as a beginner on a XL350 by myself at night without a headlight ( just kidding about at night) and only remember one minor section of minimal difficulty. This is not a typical dirtjunkie 3 hour tour but a very fun easy loop but it will take most of the day with stops and a dip in the hot springs with the naked college girls.
The track is weak, only a little fun when it rains. The trail along the ridge line is very scenic has a few challenging rocky sections.
Hope this helps

D

Drusome

MX rider

Hey saw your posted messages about Divide Peak road. My husband and I have been up there twice looking for the track, but to no avail. We start at the dirt parking lot where the little map is and go out the parking lot to the left and go to the upper gate and through and seem to ride for miles but never see any 'track' there is a little section where there are some minor whops but not a so called 'track' really. Can you help? Thanks

Top Bottom