Senior KX Rider

Super Power AssClown
Nov 9, 1999
Sosa's legacy could be broken beyond repair

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Jayson Stark
ESPN.com

He's going to get suspended. But that's not Sammy Sosa's biggest problem.

He lost an RBI. But that's not Sammy Sosa's biggest problem, either.

Sammy Sosa at home plate before it all came apart.

No, Sammy's biggest problem now is that he lives in a video age. And he has just been handed a life sentence in America's National Videotape Prison.

It isn't our intention right now to play judge, jury and prosecutor over what Sammy Sosa did or didn't do Tuesday night. He did what he did. He explained it how he explained it. You can believe him or you can not believe him.

But the videotape isn't going away. Not ever. He can ask Billy Hatcher. He can ask Wilton Guerrero. He can ask Albert Belle. He can ask Graig Nettles.

For years now, the image of Sammy in most American minds was Sammy hugging Mark McGwire during the Maris Chase in 1998. Or Sammy racing out to right field waving his little American flag after Sept. 11, 2001. Or Sammy doing his little hop step as another home run sailed off toward a Waveland Avenue rooftop.

But not anymore.

Now the image is going to be Sammy hitting a dinky little broken-bat ground ball to second base -- on the night his world changed forever.

Now people will ask if he has cheated his way to those 505 home runs, even though all the cork in Portugal wouldn't help a man hit 505 home runs if he couldn't hit.

Now people will ask if his whole career, his whole rise from raw strikeout machine to one of the great sluggers of all time, was phony and tainted -- even though Sosa's maturation as a disciplined hitter who learned the strike zone and hit great pitches to every field was not something he could have accomplished with a drill and some cork.

Now people will look at a man who was once one of baseball's most beloved figures and ask: "Why?" And no matter how reasonable or unfathomable the explanation, will anyone be interested in accepting it?

That's not a place anyone wants to be in this world we live in. But it is Sammy Sosa's place now, whether he likes it or not.

"The first thing that went through my mind," said his former Cubs teammate, Turk Wendell, on Tuesday, "was why would a guy like that be using cork? In my eyes, I could see guys who are little shortstops, who hit two or three home runs a year, using a corked bat so they could maybe hit one or two more homers. But Sammy doesn't hit paint-scrapers. He doesn't need help getting his balls to go out of the park. He hits moon shots. So I don't understand why he'd use a corked bat."

“ Now everything else he's done has question marks around it. His home run records, everything. It's all surrounded by question marks. ”
— Turk Wendell

His first order of business, Sosa understands, is to await the formal portion of his punishment. Bob Watson, baseball's vice president in charge of discipline, was already on the case Tuesday night before the Cubs had even left the field. And he will be handing down a suspension of at least a week.

Belle got seven games for corking his bat nine years ago. Guerrero got eight games for his cork-a-pade six years ago. Hatcher was nailed for eight games in 1987

:| :|

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Over-blown...

WaltCMoto

Sponsoring Member
Jan 1, 2001
The media will play up anything for a story. Not that this is nothing, but sports talk shows and reporters need dirt and exageration to keep the shows interesting for those who care.

Now if Carmichael was using those red powerbands that OLdguy was selling, Id be pissed off.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
all right, I was gonna leave it alone, but here goes:

They all cheat. If you're not cheating, you're not trying, and it's not cheating until you get caught. There's probably more corked bats than you can shake a, er, bat at. They oughta make the strike zone what it's supposed to be -- chest to knees and width of the plate, not knees to just above the knees. They should make those wussies (Barry Bonds and Mo Vaughan come to mind) shed the body armor. If you wanna crowd the plate, you'd better be prepared to suffer the consequences. The pitchers shouldn't be warned and ejected for hitting a guy leaning halfway over the plate, but they should all have to bat as well. Keep the DH if you want, bat ten guys, as long as the pitcher has to face up to some of his own medicine.   But the strike zone is the width of the plate, not the part of the plate the batter isn't leaning over.  It's all a bunch of crap.  A few make waaaay too much, too many make waaay too little.

Make me commissioner of baseball. I hate the game, so I wouldn't put up with any BS.

Last edited:

G. Gearloose

Pigment of ur imagination
Jul 24, 2000
What more arrogant is he's telling the public how to feel about it, everyone makes mistakes, etc. Thats for the fans to decide, not him.
What a boring game. At least going fishing you can do something while you do nothing... :think:

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
It's just not Cricket ....... !!! NO Seriously :p

Corked Bat, Hot Bat, Aluminium Bat .... er .. Ding Bat .. who really cares .... :ugg:

Funny thing, in Cricket, it's the ball that gets tampered with :eek:

Baseball needs a few rule changes.

1. Any bat goes - who cares what bat they use.
2. Hit a home run, you go back to the plate and bat again hit until you are out !
2. No walks allowed - add a point to the batting team - penalize bad pitching.
3. No walks for hitting the batter - play on
4. 4 runs for a home run, 1 for a base run.

Aah, what the heck .... might as well play Cricket ..... :)

:moon:

Lew

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 27, 2001
I am sure all of this sammy stuff will blow over soon enough. Its not like he was betting on baseball....ahhh...Or didn't that already happen in the past..?I'll have to ponder that while out in my ROSE garden.
I agree with those here that talk about some rule changes, here are a few of mine -
make the ball fields bigger, as they were 25 + years ago. Hank Aaron, Babe Ruth, Joe Dimaggio, Yogi Berra, etc. these guys didn't smack home runs in 330 foot parks. Play baseball, not homerun derby.

Eliminate interleague play - Let the rivalry build and have it out during all star and the world series.

Get the umpires to keep the game moving, my god 3 1/2 - 4 hours to play 9 innings that used to be played in 2 1/2 hours, just so we can now watch these premadonnas adjust their sack and get the sand just right in the batting box.

Sosa will be fine in the long run and I doubt there will be any rule changes, but it sure is nice to bitch every now and then.

Ride Safe
Lew

Top Bottom