Schrader valves in fork tube caps

oft

May 28, 2005
I weigh 160 lbs, heavier fork springs are recommended. Would it be possible to tap the fork caps and thread schrader valves into them? Would a few pounds of air mimic stiffer springs?

ridejunky

Dec 6, 2005
Theoretically, yes, it would make them seam stiffer but but as you ride the air temp changes and then so does your "spring rate". I would prefer to have mine consistently
poor than unpredictable.

oft

May 28, 2005
Thanks ridejunky, I was looking for easy way to increase " spring rate". Hoped to avoid buying springs, special tools, and, according to owners manual, difficult fork teardown.

paab

Aug 31, 2006
Putting a little extra oil in the forks will acheive the same thing. Just go up in small increments. 3-5mm higher level should give some result.

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
No special tools to change fork springs. If you install XR springs which are longer than stock, you will have to make spacers or modify the stock spacers. Neither is a problem at most elementary shop work. Maybe a 30 minute job. Understand this is a spring change, not seals, oil or etc. Cheers John

oft

May 28, 2005
John, you mentioned "xr" springs. Are these better and or cheaper than kawasaki springs? 38 kg springs from FRP are about $80.

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
If you can find the xr springs used (they never wear out) they are cheaper--got mine for about $40. Some debate whether they are better or not. Orr eqpt Honda springs are hot rolled and others are cold rolled. Other consideration is that xr springs are longer - literally giving you more "spring" than stock length. The longer spring does require spacer length change--longer spring requires shorter spacer in the same compartment. My buddy on KDX put in heavier aftermarket like FRP sells and they work well also. Change the springs for heavier ones of one kind or another before you have to go to er--several on here will verify. Cheers John

Top Bottom