Scott Summers retires from racing. :(

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
From RacerX
Scott Summers, nine-time off-road champion and a true ambassador of the sport, announced his retirement before a standing ovation from Honda dealers at last night's Honda convention in Las Vegas. Summers will continue to work with the Honda Riders Club of America promoting off-road riding to youth of all ages. Besides all of those championships and race wins, his legacy includes helping turn off-road racing in America from an amateur, club-level activity to a full-blown professional sport. Summers' professionalism, work ethic and business skills changed the sport of off-road racing in America forever.
He will be missed.
:(

LWilson250

Jan 1, 2001
Mr. Summers is one of the best guys in the sport. When my dad ordered a Kiwi case saver for his ’98 XR400R and it didn’t fit he called SRC and Mr. Summers himself talked to my dad and got things worked out.
The things he wrote for Dirt Bike magazine were very informative and inspiring. I hope that one of these days I can meet him and let him know how much he has inspired me. It’s too bad he is no longer racing, but at least now he has more time to work on those trick XR parts he makes! Again, he will be missed.

Lee Wilson

IDkTm

Jul 12, 2000
Does anyone think that Honda will find a replacement for him? He was Honda's GNCC team so with this announcement its gone. Maybe they'll try finding someone to race a modified CR 250 to be competitive with what everyone else uses?

Shin ichi

Feb 27, 2001
I was at the Macon GNCC where he broke his leg. Before the race he was very friendly and polite. Not some ego motohead.

Our sport needs more men like him.

Thanks Scott!:cool:

KevinB4stk

Jul 5, 2000
Thank's for the memories Scott.
I'm glad I got into offroad racing when I did, so I could see one of the best at his best. Mabe we will see him on the trail sometime.

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
Wow. Now there's a loss for us who followed him & his progress over the years. Perhaps his (re)injuries have gotten the best of him. He will be missed.

When I had a stroker & was getting back into riding, I found there was quite a bit to be learned from his writings. Hop he keeps it comming for those willing to listen.

jalbert

Jul 20, 2001
replacement,mclevy

the only other pro in the gncc series riding a honda is josh mclevy.he rides a cr 250. last i knew he was 8th overall.he'd be perfect.with more support he'd be a title contender for 2002.

Wolf

doooode
Jul 31, 2000
Scott Summers is the reason i rode 4-strokes for a long time(600/400). I always enjoyed watching him.
A few years ago at the 6 days of Michigan he rode trails with his girlfriend on the back and still flew by every one. Then he picked the 6-hunny up like a little 50. One impressive fella. His ability to ride a 600 was mind blowing.

IDkTm

Jul 12, 2000
Yeah McLevy woudl fill the bill just fine. Isn't Kiedrowski's(sp?) Suzuki contract up this year? He's proven to really adapt to off road racing and has had a relationship with Honda in the past.

Jon K.

~SPONSOR~
Mar 26, 2001
There are a few indelible images burned into my remaining working brain cells. Chris Carr on the mile. J. M. Bayle at the supercross.
Scott Summers at a AMA national hare scramble in Louisiana. Last lap. Running second behind Scott Plessinger and running out of time. The trail ran through a little woods section and up a bank unto a short section of asphalt road. The bikes had drug some mud up onto the roadway.
Here comes Plessinger on the two-stroke. Blasts up the ditchbank and accelerates hard down the road. Very controlled, very professional, very very fast.
Summers is perhaps ten seconds back. You can sense the urgency from the very sound of the four-stoke even before he comes into sight. Scott and the big 600 burst from the woods, blasted up the ditchbank and jumped into the middle of the blacktop road completely sideways. He landed in the mud that had been drug onto the asphalt and left a tiretrack 16 inches wide like a dirttrack racer. Forty feet long. Never got out of the throttle. Totally un-expletive-believable.
The hair still stands up on the back of my neck when I think about that moment.

Thank you Scott.

Last edited:

Rodzilla

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 21, 1999
Scott is one of the most genuinely nice people I have ever met.

Truely a great ambassador for our sport.

Thanks Scott.

Rod

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
Thank-you Scott Summers for all you have contributed to our sport.
XRP-You've still got Johnny Cambell and Jonah Street to root for! They're the only other guys I've seen come close to Summers ability on the Honda beasts, except maybe Bruce Ogilvie, back in the day, when he holeshot and ran away with the Barstow to Vegas race on a thumper.:D

MARK IT

~SPONSOR~
Sep 5, 1999
Read in Dirt Rider that he may ride the CRF450 in the GNCC? I would think
this will depend on how much honda offers him or maybe just some publicity..

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
If you ever get a chance to do business with SRC you will be pleased to say the least. One of their salesmen, Kevin Fields is a very informed and courteous fella who is very pleasant to talk to. Also, Wade Summers, Scotts dad, is by far one of the most congenial persons I've talked with about 4 strokes. He is obviously passionate about his sport and trade, and it is easy to see where Scott gets his good manners and personality.

I'm lucky to live within a few miles drive of them.

Dr.billZ

May 15, 2000
I will miss him. He was a good guy and class act.
With that said, I think he jinxed himself back about 6 years ago. I was at a GNCC race at Loretta Lynn's and he said "I don't see anyone coming up that can take my title away" :eek: Just a couple of years later..... broken bones, a torn ACL and Shane Watts appeared!!
I wish him a good retirement and success.
Maybe we'll see him at more MidSouth races :)

training

Dec 31, 2006
I was scott summers training in N KY for sometime and I would like to say that he is a very good man to work with and he is a very good friend too. He is a very nice man to have as friends as will. So thank you scott summers

Reesknight

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2002
He blew me off the trail several years ago at a GNCC. Finally met him a few years later the MTDR ride at LL. A geniune nice guy. I've got a signed poster around here somewhere. :think:

burgunder

Oct 3, 2006
I saw him at the last or second to the last Blackwater 100. I was much young then and he certainly impressed me when he lifted his XR600 waist high for pictures.

beargun

Feb 15, 2007
I ran mid south series races that he ran pro in back in the middle 80's, he was insanely fast. I once said "I want to be like that guy" and have been on big four strokes ever since.Just no where near as fast.

Dan Reed

Feb 5, 2001
Great story Jon K. ....

In my 1st HS (Hidden Valley in Warsaw, Ohio), there was a guy on an XR 400 that he obviously had just rolled off the show room floor, (spotless, no-stickers or #'s) I thought, "Man, I need to trade in my kdx on one of those...this guy looks like a rookie too, and he sure is makin' it look easy, meanwhile I'm stuggling to make this long,greasy hill."
When he past me for the 4th time in 1.5 laps I realized this Massive guy makes the XR 400 look like an XR 80 and is must be lapping the field too!

Of course it was Scott (Mr. Summers to anyone whoever tried to pick up a 600) racing incognito, fresh off of a broken leg. Wow, talk about smooth!

Top Bottom