Second Bike - Decisions, Decisions!!

TaxPhd

Dec 29, 2003
After all the great info. I've got from this site, I bought my first bike last month - an '04 KDX200. The bike is great, and I and having a blast riding again (it was a long time ago, and I didn't do that much then).

Now for my dilemma. My 16 year old son is going with me, and is having a blast. This is the first motorcycle he has ever ridden, and while he has been a little intimidated, he is learning fast, and getting more comfortable with the bike. The problem is, I don't get very much riding time because he is always on the bike!!!! So, it's time to get another bike.

My son is 6'1", 165#, beginner skill level. We are just riding trails and messing around right now, but he has talked about maybe doing some MX racing later on (he can use my KDX if he wants to race Enduro's). I am thinking about a 250cc two stroke MX bike. Used, not new. The particular flavor (CR/KX/RM/YZ) isn't that important as I don't think either one of us will have the skill to be able to take advantage of the subtle differences. This won't just be Son's bike - I want to play on it also!

What do you think?

Scott

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
Ktm200 exc. or YZF250, Your son seems to be tall enough. Just seems to be a bit light and could use more seat time, for a Mx250 Your dilemma it a tough one. The bikes I recommended are still very fast bikes. The kdx would be fine for the woods and it a great bike. But on the track the suspension a bit soft. The 200exc & the yzf250's will serve both track & trail fine. Just be careful with the yzf's. Pick one that is very clean and well maintained as thing's can go wrong very fast and truly expensive to repare in a hurry. It's a great bike though.

nectar

Sep 11, 2002
Get another kdx, cause when you son bends his shift or brake lever he can just take yours....just bear in mind, if you do get an mx bike it will not be well suited for trail riding without some gearing and suspension adjs....Actually, you should get another kdx, and a mx bike....good luck with it.

TaxPhd

Dec 29, 2003
After rethinking this a little more, it looks like MX racing is a ways off (for either one of us). Enduros, maybe Hare Scrambles, and losts of trail riding is what we will most likely be doing.

I found a 1996 KTM 250EXC that I can probably get for around $1,500 that looks like it would probably fit the bill better.

How will this bike compare to my KDX?

Any others I ought to look at?

Thanks!

Scott

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
Great bike. $$$$$$$$$ for parts you could get a much newer KDX for the same price.

TaxPhd

Dec 29, 2003
Well, I looked at that KTM, and it was beat to death. With a budget of around $2,000, things are pretty limited, as most bikes that I have seen in that price range aren't worth owning.

I ended up with a '99 KX250. GREAT shape, and tons of fun. My son just loves it.

Scott

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom